more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Installing r351 broke r350  (Read 4686 times)

March 18, 2014, 04:44:13 AM
Read 4686 times

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I had r350 installed and running.  I tried to update through the web interface and it just hung for a very long time during the install phase.  Perhaps that broke something, perhaps not.  I then logged in via ssh and performed a manual install using gdebi.  After that, I could not access the web interface.  I checked and found that no homegenie service existed any more.  I also noticed that the directory for the homegenie installation had changed from:

/usr/local/bin/homegenie

to:

/usr/local/bin/HomeGenie

I don't know which is the cause, but when I tried to fix things by uninstalling and reinstalling, things got worse.  I'm currently reimaging with r345 and will upgrade directly to r351.

March 18, 2014, 06:54:32 AM
Reply #1

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I wrote the r345 SD card image and upgraded to r351 with the following command:

sudo gdebi homegenie...deb

I did not see any errors, but HG did not install successfully so I can no longer run the service.  I've tried and broken 2 images now, so I guess I'll wait til I see an update.

March 18, 2014, 10:15:17 AM
Reply #2

dani

• Information
  • Global Moderator
For me ,  I tried to update through the web interface and it just hung for a very long time during the install phase so.
But it's not create folder with upper case lettters
After reboot the service works.

Configuration :
RasPI V2
Aeon Stick V2
ZWave modules Fibaro
GPIO with 8 relais card.

But on a PC with Linux Debian I got same problems. The folder name has changed.
With comand line
root@PCDM-2007:/usr/local/bin/HomeGenie# sudo mono HomeGenie.exe
The service runs but the multiinstance addvirtualmodules doesn't work anymore.

Cheers.
Dani
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 12:18:51 PM by dani »

March 18, 2014, 01:14:59 PM
Reply #3

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Tangible is the future!
    • Yet Another Programmer
I probably packed the deb with wrong folder name. Can't check this right now, perhaps tomorrow.
A work around should be renaming the folder to lower case and reboot.

Cheers,
g.

March 18, 2014, 02:32:35 PM
Reply #4

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I renamed the HG directory to lower case and restarted.  The HG service did not start.  I then tried dani's suggestion of running "sudo mono HomeGenie.exe".  The ssh sat there as though it were running, but I could not connect either via web browser or the Android app.  I checked to see what ports were open with Fing on my phone and it said 80 was open.  Not sure what else I can do to diagnose the issue on my end.

Since I already started from scratch once last night, I'm not excited about reimaging again until there's a better chance it will work.  It takes over an hour for the whole process.

March 18, 2014, 03:40:00 PM
Reply #5

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
It looks like I just needed to wait longer to give the web server a chance to launch.  The web page did load after I gave it a chance to load fully.  What command do I need to put where to get the service started?

March 19, 2014, 08:21:40 PM
Reply #6

Jens

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I am having the issue already with R350. After reboot HG does not come up (ps -elf). A manual start by sudo /etc/init.d/homegenie start gets HG up and it is running but just for a short while. Installing the backup config from R345 made it even worse no lirc coming up etc. so I went back to R345 which is unfortunate having the issue with the new scheduler after reboot - at least in my setup (six hue devices causing the problem) but running stable.

Cheers
Jens

March 25, 2014, 03:18:33 PM
Reply #7

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I have tried everything I can think of to get HG r351 working on my Raspi, but it appears to be a lost cause.  As a primer, I'm a novice Linux user, but not very experienced with system administration (I use it at work all the time, but we have IT staff to keep it up and running).  As far as I can tell, there are at least 2 things going on that I know are different from 350 to 351, but there must be more since it still doesn't work.

• /usr/local/bin/homegenie was renamed to /usr/local/bin/HomeGenie
  • homegenie.exe is now HomeGenie.exe
  • /etc/init.d/homegenie does not exist with r351

I tried:
  • rename the directory back to homegenie
  • rename HomeGenie.exe back to homegenie.exe
  • copied homegenie service script back into /etc/init.d

After reboot, homegenie does seem to be running ("ps -elf | grep homegenie" produces 1 line), but I can't access the web interface.  I did not try the Android app though.  I'm not sure what else to do at this point. 

• X10 is too slow currently for one of my main tasks
  • The current version can't be used and perhaps it's a problem going forward?
  • Nothing I have tried fixes things, so I'm stuck on 350

March 25, 2014, 09:03:14 PM
Reply #8

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
On my R351 (without using .deb), my directory is "homegenie", but my program is "HomeGenie.exe".

Did you try to take a look at "/usr/local/bin/homegenie/startup.sh" ? This file is call from script (init.d).
My r351:

ps -elf | grep HomeGenie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx sudo /usr/bin/mono-sgen HomeGenie.exe
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx /usr/bin/mono-sgen HomeGenie.exe
ps -elf | grep homegenie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx /bin/sh /usr/local/bin/homegenie/startup.sh /usr/local/bin/homegenie

Bye

March 26, 2014, 04:23:23 AM
Reply #9

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Yes, but the only way I was able to get anything working again was to modify the /etc/init.d/homegenie file to refer to my backup /usr/local/bin/homegenie-r350 directory.  Nothing I've been able to change in any file has made 351 work.

March 26, 2014, 06:20:18 AM
Reply #10

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
Weird ! Dis You try tu simply update from "update manager" directly from the web interface? Or with the tgz file ?
Unless, homegenie doesn't launch properly with the simple following command :
sudo mono HomeGenie.exe or
sudo mono homegenie.exe

It is useless to try script ... When you launch the previous command, you doesn't have any error ? What message do you have ?

Bye
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:57:10 PM by nolio »

March 26, 2014, 04:16:18 PM
Reply #11

dani

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,

It's not : sudo HomeGenie.exe.
Under Linux you have to go in the folder :
$ cd /usr/local/bin/homegenie
And after you run :
$ sudo mono HomeGenie.exe

You cannot run an .exe file directly under linux.
Cheers
Dani
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:18:29 PM by dani »

March 26, 2014, 04:21:15 PM
Reply #12

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I tried that last night (sudo mono homegenie.exe) and it looked like it was running.  I waited a few minutes and attempted to load the interface.  It appeared that Firefox was trying to load, but it just sat there for a long time spinning.  It doesn't take more than a minute or two to get the interface loaded after booting a working raspi/HG r350, so I wouldn't think it would take much longer for a manually started r351.

March 26, 2014, 06:05:40 PM
Reply #13

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
And you have no messages after your prompt command ?!
Bye

March 26, 2014, 06:16:25 PM
Reply #14

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
No, the prompt sits on an empty line indefinitely.  I waited 15-20 minutes just in case.  I believe by default, HG is set to NOT output debug info, so it wouldn't go to the console.  I can't change that setting outside of the interface to my knowledge.  Perhaps there is an error, but it's not telling me anything.