more G-Labs products

Author Topic: android push notification in-app  (Read 2467 times)

March 03, 2014, 03:44:26 AM
Read 2467 times

naps1saps

• Information
Adding push notifications in conjunction with HG server db seems like it would be rather simple to do for someone with experience with both code projects.

Reference info here:
http://www.androidhive.info/2012/10/android-push-notifications-using-google-cloud-messaging-gcm-php-and-mysql/

March 03, 2014, 10:09:34 AM
Reply #1

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
That seems for me a little bit heavy and not very simple : Google (PRISME ;)), PHP + MySQL (heavy).
Pushing box isn't enough ?!
Bye

March 03, 2014, 06:14:54 PM
Reply #2

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
What app do you use to implement PushingBox?  I signed up over the weekend but didn't see an obvious choice.  It looked like you either went with Notify My Android or Notifry but email/tweet/etc were also available.  Just curious what is typically used for instant notification of door/window sensors.

March 03, 2014, 09:45:44 PM
Reply #3

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
In the pushingbox site in the section "SERVICES", there is an service call "Notify My Android" which use the android app :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.usk.app.notifymyandroid&hl=fr

I look the site sometimes ago, but i didn't use this solution. So i can't tell it works fine.

Bye

March 04, 2014, 12:29:56 AM
Reply #4

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
What solution did you opt for?  I'm actually interested in bidirectional notification, so I was considering using XPMM assuming I could find applicable C# examples.

March 04, 2014, 01:43:59 AM
Reply #5

naps1saps

• Information
I'd like a notification that is alerting rather than an SMS like 1 time notification.  Notify my android seems like an SMS type notification

March 04, 2014, 02:39:49 PM
Reply #6

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
I use the solution describe here :
http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=6.0
You can imagine to use it for more than an alarm system.

For my part, i was searching for a system to alert me (more than email) when my alarm is "on". The pushing box solution was nice, but an independent solution of my Internet connection is the best solution for me.
Bye

March 04, 2014, 07:07:49 PM
Reply #7

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I prefer SMS personally since I do not have reliable data in all locations but the voice/SMS is typically much better.  I'm ok with a notification being sent back to the phone via some kind of push for most things but SMS has been great in the past.

I should say that I used to have a SMS setup in conjunction with ActiveHome Pro.  In that case I was using Google Voice as the means to communicate since the HA server could simply check the GV account every few seconds for new messages, process the resulting command, and respond as needed.

My primary use is outdoor lights for my dog's kennel.  For example, if I go to a sporting event don't get home before 11pm on the weekdays or forget to turn the lights on prior to leaving on weekends, the dogs will be left in the dark.  It's probably not an issue, but we do have coyotes that could get bold in the dark.  The setup was useful to turn the lights on with a verification that the HA server had done the job.  The venue may not have reliable data but SMS always go through.  Unfortunately, Google basically killed GV so I'm now looking for an alternative.