more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Queued commands for sleeping devices  (Read 1172 times)

May 06, 2016, 08:56:54 AM
Read 1172 times

jensc

• Information

There is a feature within a competing product where when one is sending parameter setting commands to sleeping devices the application will queue these commands, wait for the device to wake up and then cram them down its throat before the thing goes back to sleep.  An awesome solution to climbing up a ladder and banging on some button multiple times then racing back to a computer to change the configuration before the damn thing goes back to sleep.  Oh, what a luxury!

Perhaps we could have this some day, Gene?

JC

May 06, 2016, 08:51:18 PM
Reply #1

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
Not sure that can be so usefull...
And that can be an heavy charge for the system, for example, in case of "death" devices ...
Bye

May 07, 2016, 01:01:03 AM
Reply #2

jensc

• Information
Nolio,

Not useful?  Honestly?  I used that feature on another application that I don't use now, for entirely different reasons, and it was very, very useful.

I certainly wouldn't expect it to assist me in finding "dead" devices or placing a heavy load on the system.  The application can advise you of that through several other means.  If you're paying any attention to the operation of your system you should be able to spot that for yourself soon enough.  Battery powered (sleeping) devices are rare in the Z-wave market.

Finally, if one is expecting light weight apps like HG and others to save ones life one is a fool and deserves what happens.

JC

May 07, 2016, 01:41:28 PM
Reply #3

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Not useful, because I use HG since end of 2013 without this functionality.
And my HG installation is stable (and work like a charm) and it seems to didn't needed to queue...
But I can be wrong... ;-)

The command can have a longer timeout but this need a timeout, HG can wait eternally the wake-up device..  No?

Which system manage the queue command ?

May 07, 2016, 04:22:13 PM
Reply #4

jensc

• Information

Domoticz queues the command until the device wakes up at its programmed interval instead of having to chase down the device and manually wake it up just to make a simple parameter adjustment.  It is often a battery powered multi-sensor mounted in some inconvenient location.  It isn't a matter of stability or function for HG but rather an issue if usability.

May 10, 2016, 07:19:12 AM
Reply #5

mvdarend

• Information
I agree with jensc, queuing is a part of the Z-wave spec if I recall correctly.

it would be a great addition to be able to just set values for say my Smoke sensors and know that they'll be updated automatically when they wake up. Now I have to climb on a step ladder take the thing down and wake it up for the settings to take effect. (not that I do it often :) )

I have no idea how to implement it though. And I assume Gene is busy enough with HG, so maybe someone else can chip in and help?

June 02, 2016, 04:13:02 PM
Reply #6

Zen

• Information
I have added a new program to send parameters value for Z-Wave sleeping devices under App Contributions.