more G-Labs products

Author Topic: HG+XBMC on the Raspberry PI  (Read 2407 times)

June 08, 2014, 05:02:27 AM
Read 2407 times

James

• Information
Hi, I've ordered a raspberry Pi to replace the windows server I'm running HG on, looking at the documentation for HG it say's I can run it on top of XBMC, on my Windows server I have both running and they run great, but I like the Idea of replacing the Server with something a lot smaller that won't take up so much space in my Living room, My question is Does it matter which I install first HG or XBMC, I'm not familiar with Linux or the Raspberry so this is will be a learning journey for me as well.

June 09, 2014, 07:42:05 PM
Reply #1

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
I prefer use a dedicated server for my domotics (alarm is too on HG).
So in your case, i probably use 2 raspberry.
In case your raspberry is full of charge for xmbc use, it could disturb the domotics function.
But if you want to try, i don't think it's matter which one is install first.

Bye

June 09, 2014, 10:53:08 PM
Reply #2

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
If you install one or the other first, it shouldn't matter assuming you start with a stock Raspi distribution.  If you start with a dedicated build of HG or XBMC, there may be some things that have to be installed beyond the standard install if the dedicated build removes certain needed components.

I'd agree with nolio as far as combining automation and entertainment.  Raspi is not exactly the most powerful machine out there.  If you run a high demand media (certain HD compression formats take a lot of resources to decompress), then you may end up with less than real time response for your automation.  If it's not critical (dimming is not smooth for example), then this may be ok.  If you use it for an alarm system/security, I would probably get a second Raspi or use a more powerful platform.

June 11, 2014, 12:47:22 AM
Reply #3

James

• Information
Hi, thanks for the replies both of you!
I'm going to try both and see how it performs if its sluggish I'll remove XBMC, right now HG is more important to me and I can run XBMC on my Windows Home server if it becomes necessary.
I'll let you know how it performs and what I end up doing.

thanks again 

June 11, 2014, 11:42:15 PM
Reply #4

James

• Information
Well you were right, with both applications running and XBMC sitting at the main menu with no add-on's  and no Libraries connected  it was idling at 95% CPU, so it looks like I'll either have to get another PI or use my WHS Server for XBMC.

Thanks!

June 12, 2014, 10:18:58 AM
Reply #5

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,

Oki.
Thanks you to share the result of your test :).

Bye