more G-Labs products

Author Topic: HomeGenie and non branded wireless smoke alarms  (Read 2344 times)

December 17, 2015, 12:12:48 PM
Read 2344 times

petediscrete

• Information
Have two non branded wireless smoke alarms I bought on eBay for $5 each. I use x10 with HG so I was trying to figure out how to integrate the alarms with my setup which is a Raspberry PI 2 and a CM15pro.

I decided the best way to set up the alarms was via x10 RF control using the CM15 as a receiver. I set up a widget as an x10 switch controlled by an RF command. I triggered the smoke alarms and the code 5D 14 FF FF F0 was read by HG. I associated this widget with Advanced Smart Lights and the Security Alarm.

Clearly I wouldn't depend on this as my main fire alarm but as these smoke alarms are standalone anyway I'm sure a C# program could be written to make this all more efficient. I was surprised to see these cheap alarms being as useful as this.

December 17, 2015, 04:21:05 PM
Reply #1

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Are you suggesting that the alarms send an X10 RF command?  If so, can you point out which ones you purchased?  That's an interesting option that I'd like to consider.

December 17, 2015, 05:52:13 PM
Reply #2

petediscrete

• Information
Here is a link for ebay http://m.ebay.ie/itm/181665729292?_mwBanner=1 for a typical sensor I have. They were shipped from China to Ireland shipping charges free. Took approximately 3 weeks. For something that cheap I'd forgotten all about them until recently. With HG and the CM15Pro I'm getting some really interesting RF items integrated with x10. In fact the test button on the smoke alarm also works as a light switch. Nothing to loose buying a couple and giving them a try.

I took one apart and I now have a smoke sensor, a piezo buzzer, an RF transmitter and I've used the casing for another PI with a camera module running MotionPie CCTV software mounted on a wall.

December 17, 2015, 09:59:36 PM
Reply #3

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
You were able to get this model working with a CM15A?  In the US, X10 operates at 315MHz.  Does X10 operate at 433MHz in Europe?  If so, that's probably why it's easier to incorporate things that aren't X10 into your X10 setup.  I had to build a 433MHz receiver with my Arduino.  I don't see any reason why I couldn't potentially receive other 433MHz devices like these, but they won't work out of the box for those in the US with X10.

December 18, 2015, 12:01:35 AM
Reply #4

petediscrete

• Information
You can set those smoke sensors for either 433mhz or 315mhz with the supplied jumpers. The instructions supplied are fairly useless so you'll have to Google a little to find out what jumper pins need to be shorted. As I said earlier, they're cheap and ideal for taking apart and experimenting with.

December 18, 2015, 12:34:08 PM
Reply #5

pim555

• Information
Thanks Pete, good to know. Unfortunately I ditched some of these sensors some time ago as I assumed this was not possible.

Pim

December 18, 2015, 04:55:29 PM
Reply #6

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Does that model detect carbon monoxide?  There is a new law here that requires houses must have smoke and CO detectors when they are sold.  I'd like to replace the sensors I have and add a few more, but it would better if they had CO detection as well so I don't have to think about them for a while.

December 19, 2015, 03:18:52 AM
Reply #7

petediscrete

• Information
A simple answer is no. I wouldn't trust these Chinese sensors. They do sense smoke but that's about it. In my opinion they are a cheap wireless toy to be played with but fall far short of any standards that we'd normally expect from a reliable smoke alarm.

December 21, 2015, 11:05:40 AM
Reply #8

[email protected]

• Information
I've got firex smoke detectors in mine that I intend to connect up to :)

They do make an optional relay board that can go on the interconnect line or you can do a diy option - I have a link somewhere to the info.. Ill dig it out when I'm back home

December 21, 2015, 11:16:13 PM
Reply #9

[email protected]

• Information
Link here http://www.edcheung.com/automa/smoke_det.htm

Std disclaimers.. IE if dont understand then dont bother :)

December 22, 2015, 02:09:18 PM
Reply #10

petediscrete

• Information
As I mentioned previously I wouldn't entrust my safety and security to an item that isn't properly documented. One of the main reasons branded products retail at an extra premium is the fact that they are both certified to a recognised standard and are clearly documented. I've no doubt that they are made in the same factory.

HG is a fantastic way of getting to grips with the workings of the IoT and gives us all an opportunity to have all these electronic "toys" talk to each other through one integrated software solution. I've certainly learnt so much since I started experimenting with all the bits and pieces. I thought the idea of using a smoke alarm's battery check button as an additional light switch quite a novel idea.