more G-Labs products

Author Topic: HG vs hub (SmartThings, VeraLite, etc)  (Read 2965 times)

October 03, 2014, 09:15:47 PM
Read 2965 times

kevin1

• Information
Trying to decide which way to go with Home Automation.  I've been trying HG with old X10 gear and Win7 laptop (which now has failing hard drive).  I don't want to invest any more in X10 since I am finding it unreliable and rather limited in my house (only works in 1/2 of one room).  So, I need to get some Z-wave gear no matter what. 

Do I stick with HG, then I need to get $40 z-stick and probably RPi since I don't think running it from laptop is going to be a good long term solution.  RPi, z-stick and accessories are probably going to be close to $100.

I have an Arduino with Ethernet that I want to eventually connect a bunch of sensors to in my basement utility room.  I think HG may have the advantage here based on some experimenting it should be pretty easy to have the Arduino communicate with Web API.  SmartThings has a shield though, not sure how this communicates, zigbee?

Or go for SmartThings ($100) / VeraLite ($140).  Neither supports X10 out of the box, but I don't think I am missing much there.

SmartThings just got bought by Samsung which could be an issue as far as being open platform.  It supports z-wave, zigbee out of the box though.

VeraLite seems to have a great following already but doesn't support zigbee.

Other options ruled out: GE/Quirky Wink (limited features), Lowes Iris (monthly fee), Revolv (expensive), HomeSeer (expensive)

Any advice from people experienced with these different options?

Thanks!!!!

October 03, 2014, 11:07:15 PM
Reply #1

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Sounds like you weren't able to figure out the cause of your X10 issues?  I had lots of problems initially, too.  But, after figuring out the cause and fixing them, I'm at very close to 100% reliability with HG running on Raspi connected to CM15A.  If you want to improve your performance with your current setup, I can find the guides and post a link.  The tool that you'd want to use to locate X10 issues is actually available for free from the developer.  He just asks for shipping and a deposit until you return it.  I have one and it found all my issues.  With the addition of a XTB-IIR (coupler/repeater/signal amplifier) and a few ebay purchased filters, I haven't had a complaint from my wife in months!

October 21, 2014, 02:16:48 PM
Reply #2

kevin1

• Information
I've decided not to invest any money in X10.  Now just trying to decide whether to get a z-stick and stick with PC or go with a SmartThings hub.  Just saw they have $15 GE Link ZigBee LED bulbs at local store now... that is a geat price point and may sway me to SmartThings.

HG did okay while I was on a recent trip, had my lights toggling and was able to look in with Android  phone ip webcam and verify the lights were on schedule.  Unfortunately later in the week I wasn't getting any response from HG web server though.  When I got home HG wasn't running on the PC.  It could have rebooted and then HG doesn't seem to start up and reconnect my CM11 COM5 port.

I really like HG.  I don't really know C# but have experience with C so I enjoy tweaking the existing code myself.  Haven't had much time to play with my Arduino yet but I want to have it communicate with HG via web api so I can get status on my basement utility room and garage door.