more G-Labs products

Author Topic: From HomeSeer to HG  (Read 3568 times)

October 31, 2016, 05:52:19 PM
Read 3568 times

Siggi

• Information
In my previous house I had a big setup using HomeSeer controlling Z-Wave, X-10 and RFX components. I was very pleased with HomeSeer, because I could always trust the system. But one of the biggest cons, is the pricing. The start package itself, is quite pricy and so are all the add-ons one have to buy. At that time, the system had to run on a windows PC and there's really a challenge to have this running 24/7 without something breaking. I think I changed all the internal parts during a two-year period.

When I moved to a new house, I decided to look for another solution and came across HG. It was highly customable, and the C# scripting option suited me very well since that's my preferred programming language. I started with ar Raspberry Pi 3, a Z-wave interface from Aeotec (ZW090) and a 433 MHz tranceiver (RFXTRX433E). The latter has support for a wide range of wireless switches, dimmers and sensors and I had also used that component in my HomeSeer setup.

I first wrote a program to get my RFX up and running, and it now fetches sensor data from my weather station, motion sensors and temperature probes. I made it support a wide range of 433 MHz sensors, if anybody would be interested. I also had it up and running with my NEXA switches and dimmers, but I decided to go for Z-wave

The next thing was to get my Z-wave network up and running. Had some problems detecting all my switches/dimmers, but finally everything is running.

I have a very basic setup, for now, where I use a combination of light- and motion sensors to control my lights. I also have my old "Night mode" from HomeSeer where everything that doesn't need to be on, is switched off. When night mode is on, lights will only slightly light up if someone has to go to the bath room or kitchen. I'm also working with a solution to lower the temperature in the house during night time. My HomeSeer setup used a combination of window sensors and thermostats. I figured it wasn't necessary to turn on the panel oven in my bedroom if the window was open. So I'll try to get that function up and running again.

I also have plans to incorporate some Arduino controllers for different purposes. Stay tuned, as I will try to keep you in touch with my progress.

Sigbjoern Trageton
ex HomeSeer user

October 31, 2016, 08:06:58 PM
Reply #1

raptorjr

• Information
This sounds cool. I think that everything you can share would be appreciated.

November 02, 2016, 04:07:53 PM
Reply #2

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I built an Arduino based 433MHz receiver that only sorta works some of the time.  I wanted to convert it over to using an ESP8266 controller so it could be located for best coverage and utilize the RFM69HW receiver, but I never made any progress due to hardware issues.  I've seen the RFXCOM stuff in the past, but never really understood what it could or could not receive.  If it can be configured to receive and decode any 433MHz signal with minimal coding (basically just defining the signal protocol somehow) I'd be really interested especially if range is suitable.  Seeing that you have it working with an RPi and HG has me really excited actually!

November 03, 2016, 03:22:05 PM
Reply #3

Siggi

• Information
You can read about the tranceiver here: http://www.rfxcom.com/epages/78165469.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/78165469/Categories/Transceivers&ViewAction=ViewPaged
It supports a wide list of manufactures and models.
I have no problem what so ever with the range. I'm picking up signals from all sorts of 433 MHz units in the neighborhood. :)

November 03, 2016, 03:35:39 PM
Reply #4

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
What kind of a range does that work out to be?  I have some property and a fairly large house (read as signal has to through many walls and over a fair distance).  I figure I need at least 100 yards through walls to be usable.  If it can do that, I'd drop what I have in an instant (assuming it's easy to program new protocols).

November 03, 2016, 08:36:51 PM
Reply #5

Siggi

• Information
The sensors I'm picking up, is at least 60 meters away and if I'm not mistaken, the range is about 100 meters (free sight) with the onboard antenna. My house has wooden walls, so the signal levels will of course be much better than in i.e. a concrete building.

I know it's possible to do some tuning with an external antenna and of course placing the antenna as high as possible on your property. No guarantee from me though. But you can get in touch with Bert ([email protected]), he has helped me a lot and can probably answer all your questions.

November 03, 2016, 10:38:28 PM
Reply #6

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
rfxcom.com has limited info (at least in English) and there seems to be no store to buy an interface from.  Is there a different site that they use I didn't find?  Anyway, there seem to be a lot of supported protocols, but none are the ones I need.  I see that flashing firmware is possible, so it looks like it is technically possible to update things.

Actually, they also have a WiFi version (or at least LAN) that might work ok if protocols could be added.  I'll have another look and perhaps contact RFXCOM directly for more details.

November 04, 2016, 09:46:13 AM
Reply #7

Siggi

• Information
Yes, you can buy directly from rfxcom http://www.rfxcom.com/epages/78165469.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/78165469/Categories/Transceivers
and also from a list of others. If you take a peek at the bottom of this page: http://www.rfxcom.com/epages/78165469.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/78165469/Categories/Transceivers&ViewAction=ViewPaged

But my best advice is you to have a chat with Bert.

November 04, 2016, 04:56:13 PM
Reply #8

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Looks like RFXlan isn't available anymore.  Maybe after talking to Bert I'll have a better idea,  but a second hand RFXlan might work well for me.

November 08, 2016, 08:54:59 PM
Reply #9

wouter

• Information
I own a rfxcom usb rfxtrx433 transceiver I wonder if Siggi 's program will work for me. Where can I find it?

November 09, 2016, 11:11:31 AM
Reply #10

[email protected]

• Information
If its available via serial then you can do wifi to serial :)  I'm using a usr wifi 232.. http://www.usriot.com/p/low-cost-wifi-modules/

it 'may' let you hack something together :)

November 09, 2016, 12:04:00 PM
Reply #11

Siggi

• Information
Here is the first version of the program, so don't be to harsh with me. I haven't added support for all the different manufactures and models yet.

November 10, 2016, 09:00:25 PM
Reply #12

wouter

• Information
thank you . I'm gonna try it out ::)

December 15, 2016, 01:42:14 PM
Reply #13

wouter

• Information
Hi Siggy,

Please help! I need more instructions. I installed your HGX. The signal next tot the app turns yellow. but I don't know what to do next.....

Wouter

December 18, 2016, 04:03:06 PM
Reply #14

Siggi

• Information
Hmm, are you sure you have set the correct port for the receiver?