more G-Labs products

Author Topic: [Solved] Difficulties with Zwave door sensor  (Read 1118 times)

March 09, 2017, 12:07:35 PM
Read 1118 times

OldLodgeSkins

• Information
Hi

First, I'd like to say that I've been playing with HG for a couple of years and it's amazing. I had very little hardware so far, just one outlet adapter and one IP camera, but I could see the potential. Plus a motion detector that I never got to work - I'm not sure what I was doing wrong.

I've just ordered some more equipment and I'm running into the same kind of problem I had with the motion detector, with my new door sensor by Aeotec. I can include it in my network, and I can also get data from it if I press the button that's inside it. However as soon as it gets into sleep mode, my server can't communicate with it anymore.
It seems to work, as when I open or close the door I see the led blinking. However right now I do not know if the problem is that my server does not receive the signal from the sensor, or if I have not set up the security system properly... All I can tell is that I get no reaction from HG, the security system widget always says no event was recorded and no email is being sent.
I've managed to heal the node by taking it off the door and pressing the button, so it seems to be accessible. I have two other Zwave nodes nearby, just a few meters apart, a light bulb and my outlet adapter. Both are working fine.

So for now I'd just like to see if anything is received by HG at all... How can I do this? I've checked the log but couldn't notice anything in it, I don't know if the various events are supposed to be in that log file or just http requests... I have also turned the events history on but I'm not sure where I'd be able to actually see this data.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Seb.

PS: I've just noticed the security widget now reports one event related to the sensor, I believe it is its battery level (status.level), and the sensor's own widget now shows "On" and "100%", however I'm pretty sure this happened when I healed the node. I've just tried to simply open and close the door and nothing shows up.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:41:18 PM by OldLodgeSkins »

March 09, 2017, 05:56:30 PM
Reply #1

OldLodgeSkins

• Information
I've managed to make it work... Sort of.

I took it off the door as it's easier to test from my desk. Among other things I set the wake up interval to 10 seconds. Then I tried querying it for the basic value, which is as expected 0 when the sensor is near the magnet and 255 when it is away... And the lamp I use for my test started flashing. I went back to the home screen the security system widget was saying "ALARM!"

However I can't keep the wake up interval on 10 seconds I'd drain the battery... Any idea what I should do at this point? It's like the sensor does not actually wake up when the door opens even though I see the led...

March 09, 2017, 06:01:09 PM
Reply #2

OldLodgeSkins

• Information
Ok, one additional bit of info... The lamp flashes ONLY if I query the basic value from the sensor's settings while it is away from the magnet. So it looks like that value is not transmitted or received by HG...

March 09, 2017, 07:14:08 PM
Reply #3

OldLodgeSkins

• Information
After querying the node for the manufacturer's ID again (I already had it but didn't have the NodeVersion data) I got this...

No device info was found for manufacturer ID = 0086:0002:0078

Could this be the reason of my problem?

March 09, 2017, 08:16:08 PM
Reply #4

raptorjr

• Information
Don't think it is much help, but maybe some explanation why things isn't working: http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=1975.0

March 09, 2017, 10:57:28 PM
Reply #5

OldLodgeSkins

• Information
That's interesting, thank you...
I have found my device on http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1579 so I'll try to follow the instructions and add it to archive.zip, see if this makes any difference.

March 09, 2017, 11:18:57 PM
Reply #6

OldLodgeSkins

• Information
This does not seem to be making any difference...
I'm sure this is the right device as I've searched using the ID that's inside the sensor's case. However the XML file I've downloaded looks nothing like the ones in archive.zip...

March 09, 2017, 11:54:22 PM
Reply #7

OldLodgeSkins

• Information
I've had an idea that didn't work, still I'll describe what I did...
I've found an XML file in archive.zip that matches an older version of this device. So I modified the file's name as well as the device ID in it hoping that it would work with my newer version. I then updated the pepper1 DB as instructed by KaZe in the other thread. But I still get that error that says "No device info was found for manufacturer ID = 0086:0002:0078"...

March 10, 2017, 12:19:44 AM
Reply #8

OldLodgeSkins

• Information
I got it to work!
Thanks to Gene :)
http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=48.0
The sensor and the USB stick actually have to be in the same group for the sensor to report its value to the HG box! It was that simple!

March 10, 2017, 12:25:24 AM
Reply #9

OldLodgeSkins

• Information
Ok... I still have a slight problem, but I'm getting there.
Now that the sensor's back on the door, the widget systematically reports "door / window" closed" - whether I actually open or close the door...
It's probably just a configuration variable problem. I'm almost done.

March 10, 2017, 06:28:13 AM
Reply #10

Bounz

• Information
Hi, OldLodgeSkins.
Are there any situations when the sensor reports "opened" state?
According to configs of your device (http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1579/configs) you can try to play with parameters 1 and 3.

March 10, 2017, 10:13:36 AM
Reply #11

OldLodgeSkins

• Information
Hi Bounz,

I'm actually not getting any reaction from it anymore... I'm suspecting the changes I made to archive.zip at this point.
The error message on the device's configuration page disappeared... After I restarted the HG service (it crashed so I was forced to restart it manually). Which I hadn't done on my previous attempts. Maybe altering that XML file from a previous version of the same device was not such a great idea after all...
So I'm going to revert to the original archive.zip and update the pepper1 DB again, then I'll test the sensor once more.
I'll do this in a few hours and let you know.

Thank you.

March 10, 2017, 11:54:19 AM
Reply #12

OldLodgeSkins

• Information
It is definitely a configuration variable problem...
I reverted to the original archive.zip and restarted the service. I didn't get anything when opening the door, however the second I took the device off the door for testing, my testing light turned on and I got a warning in the security widget saying the device had been tampered with...
I'm pretty sure I can fix this by playing with the variables, now that I have the proper values.

March 10, 2017, 12:05:50 PM
Reply #13

OldLodgeSkins

• Information
I do get something when I open or close the door... But I'm not sure what variable it is.
The top 3 on this screenshot are from opening / closing the door.

Edit: I have since then changed parameter #1, no change. I'll try #3.
Edit #2: no change either. I've put them both back to their default value.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:24:37 PM by OldLodgeSkins »

March 10, 2017, 12:24:00 PM
Reply #14

OldLodgeSkins

• Information
Strangely I can't set the right value on variable 121... The documentation says the default value is 256 however if I try to set that and then get the value, it is 0. The only value I can set is 16... Could my problem be there?

To configure which sensor report will be sent when the Sensor is triggered On/Off.
16    Basic Set CC is selected.
256 (Default)    Sensor Binary Report CC is selected.
272    Basic Set CC and Sensor Binary Report CC are selected.