more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Weather Underground replacement  (Read 1244 times)

June 26, 2016, 02:53:04 AM
Read 1244 times

kilo

• Information
Has there been any thoughts to a WU replacement since lately it seems its down more than up?
I think there should be some alternative to WU for this reason.

Thanks

Kilo

June 27, 2016, 04:38:58 PM
Reply #1

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
There is another one available but last I checked it didn't work either.  Look at the jkUtils weather app that may require download through the HG interface.  When it worked, I liked it better than WU.  But, around a year back it started requiring a user ID of some kind so I went back to WU.

February 28, 2017, 04:51:34 AM
Reply #2

odinn

• Information
    • CDS
I'm currently working on a new weather module using OpenWeatherMap.  It doesn't appear that OpenWeatherMap has all the data points that Weather Underground does, but at least there would be an alternative.  Also, I'm not a C# developer, so I'm learning as I go.
--
Risk All - Regret Nothing

February 28, 2017, 04:39:52 PM
Reply #3

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I believe jkUtils uses OpenWeatherMap for its data source.  Perhaps you can use that as a base if you haven't already progressed too far.  From memory, I used jkUtils weather app until they started requiring an API key.  Since I already went through the effort of getting one for WU, I just switched back.  I can also upload my weather data to WU since it's linked to my weather station, so it makes sense for me to use that one.

February 28, 2017, 10:11:03 PM
Reply #4

odinn

• Information
    • CDS
It's surprising how close mine was to the jkUtils version.  I did this as an exercise in learning to write modules.
--

February 28, 2017, 11:31:17 PM
Reply #5

odinn

• Information
    • CDS
Now rewriting mine to look more like the Weather Underground module.  I modified the jkUtil version to support an API key just to make it work and see what it looked like.
--