more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Simple X10 Automation  (Read 1813 times)

February 03, 2017, 09:19:48 PM
Reply #15

kevinvinv

• Information
Hi Norm,

The HG for dummies document is a bit old and needs to be updated for the new scheduler stuff...   sorry I wasnt clear about that.

I want to update it as soon as possible... 

February 05, 2017, 04:41:31 PM
Reply #16

NAP1947

• Information
I did not realize what I was getting into when I started down this path, I have a significant X10 investment which I did not want to scrap, the way I read about HomeGenie it would allow me to run my X10 and over time, change to a newer technology and still operate with HG.

I will continue to plug away at the Sunrise/Sunset portion, although HG is currently doing everything my AHP did, more reliably, the option of Sunrise/Sunset instead of having to manually adjust times makes great sense and hopefully I will figure it all out.

Cheers, and thanks to everyone who contributed so far.

Norm

February 05, 2017, 11:01:29 PM
Reply #17

kevinvinv

• Information

Have you tried enabling both Weather Underground and JK Utils yet?   Just curious if that helped get the sunrise / sunset stuff working any better

February 06, 2017, 03:40:05 AM
Reply #18

kevinvinv

• Information
Hi Norm,  I updated the Homegenie for Dumies document to cover the new scheduler.  I havent done the best job on this document but maybe it will help.  I hope others can take time to update it where it needs to be updated or clarified.

One thing I thought of in your case...do you think you have the proper Lat/Long set up for your location?  This of course is necessary for Sunrise/Sunset.

You can get the latest document here:   http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=1420.15

I hope it can help some.

February 06, 2017, 07:38:38 PM
Reply #19

Jens

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi

I think you do not need to set LON/LAT if you use wheatherunderground.
Going to program params you'll find e.g.

Astronomy.Sunrise = "08:00"
Astronomy.Sunset = "17:29"

which are mapped to the location which is shown in wheatherunderground and can be used by the scheduler.

Bests
Jens

February 06, 2017, 09:11:16 PM
Reply #20

kevinvinv

• Information
HI Jens,

Great.  So do you access Astronomy.Sunrise from within the scheduler (the new scheduler) somehow?

February 07, 2017, 12:39:58 AM
Reply #21

NAP1947

• Information
First I neglected to answer a previous question about HG on my system, I have weatherunderground initialized and all my X10 modules installed in widgets all of which work.
I have all the X10 modules working from the Scheduler with fixed on or off times.
I have not been able to figure out if I have the jkutils app nor obviously have I got it initialized.
I have tried the (@SolarTimes.sunset) ; (* * * * *) crone command without success.  My objective is to have certain modules come on at sunset and go off at preset times everyday and others that come on at preset times and go off at sunrise.
I have not approached thermostat or garage door opener functions yet.
So my next need is to address the jkutils issue, I am currently researching that.

February 07, 2017, 03:11:08 AM
Reply #22

kevinvinv

• Information
Hi Norm,

Thanks for that info.  And is that the cron string you are using?   I could be wrong but I dont think that will work...

Here is what I use for Sunset to 9:30
 (@SolarTimes.Sunset)  > (30 21 * * * )

Have you tried something like that?

Also- did you notice that I updated the HomeGenie for Dummies document?  It maybe will help a tiny bit... not sure though.

February 07, 2017, 05:04:20 PM
Reply #23

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Here is what I use for Sunset to 9:30
 (@SolarTimes.Sunset)  > (30 21 * * * )

What happens if sunset happens after 9:30PM?  I have my lights turn off at 10:30 because in the summer it's light much later.  This is a catch in case I forget to turn them off as well, so it's not mandatory.  If your approach turns the lights on after sunset ONLY if it's also before 9:30, that would be great, though.

February 08, 2017, 12:24:25 AM
Reply #24

kevinvinv

• Information
Not sure what happens in that case actually... I havent ever noticed that happen around here  :)

February 08, 2017, 04:40:10 PM
Reply #25

NAP1947

• Information
I have set up one of our lights as (@SolarTimes.Sunset) > (* 23 * * *)
Hopefully that will turn on at sunset and off at 11PM.
Anther lamp I have set as (@SolarTimes.Sunsrise) > (* * * * *)
Hopefully that will turn off at sunrise, off I have a separate schedule, I will see tomorrow.

I did see and read the updates guide and it with your specific directions are most helpful, I hope to see tomorrow.  I will post with results.

I am still trying to figure out the jkutils thing but have not really had a lot of time to play with it.  As most of us retired types there does not seem to be enough hours for everything, I do not remember how I did when I worked.

Norm

February 08, 2017, 05:25:05 PM
Reply #26

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
jkUtils is really easy to use.  Basically you just enable it in the programs, specify your location, and put the widget into some location of your dashboard (if you want).  It works offline, so no matter how good/bad your internet is, it will always work.  The only thing it relies on is that your system clock work correctly (obviously).

February 11, 2017, 07:01:27 AM
Reply #27

kevinvinv

• Information
Hey Norm,  so did the sunrise work?  :)

February 15, 2017, 09:54:15 PM
Reply #28

NAP1947

• Information
Success, took me a while but I finally got it running.
For example to turn a light on at 5AM and off at sunrise I did as follows.
I setup a schedule to turns the X10 switch on at 5 AM using exact time.
I setup a second schedule using the same X10 switch but a crone expression "@Solartimes.Sunrise".  Everything works just as I want it to for all the modules I setup.
Thanks to everyone for your help and patience.
Norm

February 15, 2017, 11:03:09 PM
Reply #29

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I'm just now working on the new scheduler as well.  The documentation and most of the advice suggests that in order to turn a light on at one time and off at another requires 2 schedules.  And, that may be a better way to do it, but it's not the only way.  If you look at the code snippets section there is one that turns on the module in the 1st minute of the current scheduling event and off in the last.  I haven't tried this yet, but it appears that it might do what I want (turn the light on once at a given time and then off at the end time.  That might be what you are looking for but if you already have it up and running, you probably don't need to do anything different.