more G-Labs products

Author Topic: X10 Heyu and HomeGenie on Raspberry Pi  (Read 719 times)

April 06, 2016, 12:54:57 AM
Read 719 times

engamma

• Information
I've got an extensive Heyu setup on my RPi controlling numerous X10 devices/sensors.  I want to use HomeGenie to control some Z-Wave devices.  I also want to send commands between the two (e.g., to use heyu to turn on an X10 alarm/device when a get a HomeGenie Z-wave sensor input (and vice versa).   I know I can have HomeGenie control both device types (X10 and ZWave) and have done so for test, but I don't want to abandon my extensive heyu customization and the flexibility it offers.

1.  How can I send heyu commands from HomeGenie?
2.  How can I send HomeGenie commands from Heyu? or from a command line?
3.  Has anybody successfully had BOTH Heyu and HomeGenie access the same X10 devices (CM11a and WGL antenna) on a Raspberry Pi and coexist peacefully?  When I try to do this I get a slew of Polling errors reported by Heyu, that I'm guessing are due to HG trying to access the CM11a.

Any help or pointers to examples, documentation, resources would be greatly appreciated.

April 06, 2016, 05:12:42 PM
Reply #1

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I don't know if you will run into issues running both on the same system.  But, if you want to control HG from a different application, you can use a couple different approaches (web API, MQTT).

1) web API: you can send the command to HG to control modules or return status however you need.  You will need to interpret the response in your other application, but it's generally a simple text format so that should not be a problem.

2) MQTT: HG has built-in MQTT to talk between HG machines, but I see no reason  you couldn't use this with a different system to communicate using the same protocol.  Alternately, you could create a new MQTT app that would interpret bi-directional communications as needed.

May 01, 2016, 12:31:14 AM
Reply #2

HGexperimenter

• Information
RE: MQTT
I currently use MQTT to communicate.
Simple, easy to implement on many systems (Mosquitto MQTT on RPi).