more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Acces my HomeGenie server from outside network  (Read 855 times)

June 07, 2016, 03:10:33 PM
Read 855 times

lgortzak

• Information
Hi guys,

I'm running HomeGenie on a raspberry Pi and would like to be able to acces it (use the API) from outside my local network. I have no problem using the API as long as i'm in the local network but I can't figure out how to make it accessible outside the house.

I cant for the life of me find out how to make it work.

Do I have to change my service ports or something in the UI? Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

June 07, 2016, 04:01:13 PM
Reply #1

mchias13

• Information
Do you have your home IP address set up with a DNS service?
From here you have 2 options:
1 - VPN
2 - Use port forwarding on your router to your homegenie application on your pi

I can connect to my homegenie via a VPN built into my asus router as it's a secure connection.

June 07, 2016, 04:30:02 PM
Reply #2

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Port forwarding and also make sure you check your firewall settings.  In my setup, I have a DSL modem and a DD-WRT router.  I had to change the DSL modem to bridge mode so it would simply forward all traffic to the router.  Without this step, my modem was acting as a second layer of firewall protection which was not what I wanted.

June 09, 2016, 12:38:33 AM
Reply #3

[email protected]

• Information
I added some notes about using nginx add a reverse proxy to secure it on here

June 20, 2016, 03:01:50 PM
Reply #4

kevinvinv

• Information
I use duckdns    for dynamic DNS management.   I have a cron job on my HG server (could be any computer in the house) that contacts duckdns periodically to update the entry.

Many routers of course also handle dynamic dns with various servers but mine didn't, so I found duckdns and it is completely hassle free... love it.

I've been accessing my HG server from all parts of the world to work on it and play with it etc

KV.