more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Problem installing r496 on WinXP, intel Atom platform  (Read 2773 times)

October 02, 2015, 01:53:23 PM
Read 2773 times

ATC

• Information
Hi - I am an new to HG, and can't seem to install on my automation PC. It's running Windows XP SP3, and the install appears to work but HG will not run. Install and running of the same code on my Windows 7 PC works OK.
With XP it goes through the driver install and appears to complete successfully, but the following was posted in the application event log:

Error Instrument: ProcessName: HomeGenie_1_1_beta_r496.tmp
WindowTitle: Setup  MsgCaption: Setup  MsgText: Unable to execute file:
C:\Program Files\HomeGenie\HomeGenieService.exe

CreateProcess failed; code 193.
HomeGenie_1_1_beta_r496.tmp is not a valid Win32 application.
CallerModuleName: unknown  BaseAddr: 0XFFFFFFFF
ImageSize: 0XFFFFFFFF           ReturnAddr: 0X00000001       

That's followed by a similar message related to HomeGenieManager.exe. Then if I try to run the application, further posts appear with "HomeGenieManager.exe is not a valid Win32 application". I've tried to uninstall and re-install (although the uninstall doesn't run either so I manually cleared up) and have also tried r491 with the same issue.

Any thoughts?!
Thanks

October 02, 2015, 11:24:08 PM
Reply #1

dani

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Why you want to use a PC windows XP that needs 200W, RaspPI for 40$ use only 3W
And that works.
Or pass your PC under linux it will be better
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 11:26:54 PM by dani »

October 03, 2015, 12:20:23 AM
Reply #2

ATC

• Information
The Atom platform uses only around 30W, and it's running 24x7 for cctv recording (also the reason it's stuck with WinXP). Thought I'd make use of it instead of adding extra kit, and read HG should work with XP. Like you say, I could always add another RaspPI but only if this doesn't work.

October 04, 2015, 11:53:53 PM
Reply #3

petediscrete

• Information
Google XP compatibility mode. There is a way of running a program that is reporting not a valid XP 32 bit application. Sounds like a compatibility issue.

October 05, 2015, 10:41:15 AM
Reply #4

ATC

• Information
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at compatibility mode, but running in Win2000 mode (or others) still doesn't work. I think it's aimed at running older code on newer O/S (so when XP was new), and here I want to run new code on old O/S, so the opposite way round.

I'm starting to think either HG no longer runs on XP, or there's some co-requisite that I don't have installed. The install of HG wouldn't run at all to begin with, until I realised you need Microsoft .NET. Maybe there's something else I've missed?

On the subject of RaspPI (as it's becoming more likely!!) does it support CM15 USB for X10 and Z-wave.me USB stick for z-wave? I already have X10 and will be moving to z-wave but not in one jump, so would like to support both short term.

October 05, 2015, 03:17:56 PM
Reply #5

petediscrete

• Information
I have to admit I haven't tried HG on XP but I do run quite a few other home automation programs on it ie. ActiveHome Pro, Active Home Vista and Eventghost all successfully. I'm going to try installing Homegenie on XP and I'll update you.

I can confirm that HG runs very successfully on Raspberry Pi. X10 is very efficient and with a bit of work you can integrate into the RPI camera module and the email notification. I can't comment on Z Wave but from what I'm hearing that runs fine too.

I do understand the desire to use what you already have so as I said I'll report back on progress.

October 05, 2015, 04:36:04 PM
Reply #6

petediscrete

• Information
Ok just a quick note. R491 doesn't install properly under XP . Install r478. That seems to install and run. Google Homegenie older version and they have all archive versions there. Post up your progress for everyone to read.

October 05, 2015, 04:59:14 PM
Reply #7

ATC

• Information
Great - I'll give it a go and post the results. I appreciate the help!

October 05, 2015, 07:09:29 PM
Reply #8

dani

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi ATC,

I persist for using RaspPI for Home Automation.
Your Atom use 30W per hour. For one year it's 30*24*365 = 262800 W means that around 263 kW per year.

My RPI 2  with AeonLabs ZWave Key use actually around 48W per day. I control it. It means that around 17.5 kW per year. Every year you win 245 kW. How much do you pay the kW with taxes ?

I am French and I have no subsides from RPI Fondation.
And it's good for the planet.
Cheers
Dani

October 05, 2015, 10:50:44 PM
Reply #9

ATC

• Information
Hi dani

I don't disagree with the sentiment, and have no intention of wasting energy. However, it's more complicated than a simple annual kWh calculation (which costs me around £23 per year to run five continuous channels of CCTV recording, media server, security, heating and light control, file shares and backup - not too bad :D). Right now if I run on RaspPI, I would be adding to my power charges and not reducing - I can't port everything to the platform so would need to continue to use the existing server. In addition to that, material and resource costs to manufacture and distribute new technology mean it's sometimes a good idea to use what you have, if saving the planet is what floats your boat.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic and will probably end up using RaspPI for this at some point, so this isn't a case of ignoring you!

October 05, 2015, 10:57:52 PM
Reply #10

ATC

• Information
Hi petediscrete

Good news - I installed r478 successfully, and just because I was feeling lucky I hit the button to  "upgrade" in the app. That appears to have worked, so I'm now going to explore and learn how to use what looks like a great tool.

The only slightly odd thing is that it says v493 on the configure panel - I thought the latest was v496? Maybe that's normal, and I'm certainly not going to complain. Thanks for the help :)

October 06, 2015, 09:23:33 AM
Reply #11

petediscrete

• Information
The art of lateral thinking. Glad you were able to get HG up and running. I think the problem you faced installing directly from r496 was the version of libusb drivers it was trying to install. I experienced a similar problem trying to install the drivers for an ATI Remote Wonder. Used a different version of the installer and it worked successfully.

If you are staying with XP for the moment give Active Home Vista and Eventghost a spin too. Both very interesting. I must admit, after XP I gave up on Microsoft Windows. Now a fully committed Linux user and haven't looked back.

October 25, 2015, 07:45:40 PM
Reply #12

m.van.aarle

• Information
r496 on windows depends on the .NET 4.5 framework. r478 depends on .NET 4.0 framework. Version 4.5 is not supported by winXP