more G-Labs products

Author Topic: IR (infrared) support for Windows installations  (Read 1178 times)

November 21, 2015, 06:30:40 PM
Read 1178 times

wysocki

• Information
I've had an HTPC setup for about 15 years, controlling my media as well as automating my home. My latest used Mainlobby providing me one-click access to turn on my amps and projector, close the window shades, lower the screen, and dim the lights before starting a movie. About time for an update using all the great new tech I've been hearing exists.

I bought an Intel NUC, a Z-wave stick and some devices, and went on my search for software. I've tinkered with Linux for decades so I thought I'd see what the state of the art would be like. After trying to install the OS along with several applications, I give up. After all these years, Linux just is not ready for prime time consumption and WAF (wife acceptance factor).

So I decided to install Win 7 and look for Windows applications. I found that HomeGenie appeared to suit my needs best - a great UI along with the ability to tweak to my heart's content. Unfortunately, it's IR functions only work via LIRC! I then searched the web and found there was a WinLIRC product - but it only worked with SERIAL infrared devices! REALLY, serial in the year 2015!!!?? My NUC has built-in IR AND bristles with those useless USB3 connections.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get Windows HomeGenie to receive IR (from handheld remotes) and transmit (to the AV components).

November 22, 2015, 07:27:01 AM
Reply #1

saue0

• Information
You could try eventghost. It can intersept IR aand call web api of home genie.

November 22, 2015, 07:55:07 PM
Reply #2

wysocki

• Information
Hmm, interesting idea, thanks! Have you (or anybody) done this? It looks like EG can do quite a bit of automation on its own. But I assume you're suggesting that it just replace the LIRC functionality and leave the I/O logic to HG?

November 22, 2015, 10:43:47 PM
Reply #3

saue0

• Information
Thats exacly what i did  before gett8ng à PI . Iwas usign thé ps3 bd remote to sendd commande to HG