more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Esp8266  (Read 4955 times)

February 18, 2016, 03:10:21 PM
Reply #15

[email protected]

• Information
I don't care about power usage, I cared about size :) It will be running from the mains..

I could drop it into deep sleep and wake it when interested.. It looks typically like it draws around 80ma from memory of my desktop psu display.

February 18, 2016, 05:47:05 PM
Reply #16

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Yup, if running from mains it makes no difference.  That's my plan as well.

March 01, 2016, 12:42:07 AM
Reply #17

[email protected]

• Information
Added 433 Mhz support tonight :)

Originally I had added 433 support to homegenie using a cheap ebay transmitter connected to an arduino and plug in sockets.

Problem is these are only one way and dont send any thing back..

So, I've got an ESP8266 with two temperature sensors (ds18b20) which post data back to homegenie if the value changes, but can add minimum poll values etc, and make it dynamically configurable from homegenie. (I added two, so that the code supported more than 1!)

You can send commands such as on, off, toggle, flash, status - which erm do as they sound.

And you can now use the original remote to turn them on and off, meaning the other half knows no difference, yet homegenie knows whats going on :)

Code needs a bit of refactoring now and then got to squeeze the hardware down and fit it inside some more cheapo sockets I got off ebay with no remote as I couldn't find a case in this style (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41iWOF8E-HL._SY300_.jpg)

Got some small 5v PSU's coming, and then will add a 3.3v reg for the esp8266, mount a ds18b20 outside the case, and hope :)

March 01, 2016, 04:12:21 PM
Reply #18

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I was all excited when you said 433MHz thinking you might have opted for the HopeRF RFM69.  I know there's a way to incorporate it since MySensors has an Arduino library that supposedly works, but I have yet to wrap my head around how to make it work.

March 01, 2016, 08:04:08 PM
Reply #19

[email protected]

• Information
No, Sorry to get your hopes up, nothing fancy, this isn't ideal either as it isn't secure and prone to triggering my doorbells, but this was only to maintain backwards compatibility for some lamps, whilst I perfect occupancy detection and remove the control :) I'm simply using the RC Switch Lib.

March 01, 2016, 09:16:15 PM
Reply #20

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
That library seems to be widely used but doesn't work when receiving sensor data in my experience.  Seems to be well suited for communicating between two devices that you are writing code for though (which is what you are doing).

March 01, 2016, 11:54:46 PM
Reply #21

[email protected]

• Information
I'm not so sure it is for much other than turning things on or off, might be mistaken..

March 02, 2016, 08:05:02 AM
Reply #22

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
When I looked into it a year+ ago, I believe I saw some examples of people doing more than turning a light on/off.  I was looking for a way to decode RF transmissions, so it didn't work for me and I moved on without doing any more research.  I'm sure you're right (just look at the code name!).