more G-Labs products

Author Topic: INSTEON Support  (Read 6653 times)

July 21, 2014, 04:24:56 PM
Read 6653 times

bearhntr

• Information
I really love the look and feel of your product and it seems like it can do anything.

I notice that you support everything on your page, but I see no mention of INSTEON.

Does this product work with that?

July 26, 2014, 08:32:17 PM
Reply #1

bearhntr

• Information
Can no-one help with this question?   Very discouraging when someone is looking to make a change to a new product that they get no answers to their posings, not even from the creator.

July 26, 2014, 10:07:18 PM
Reply #2

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Tangible is the future!
    • Yet Another Programmer
Hi bear,

hg does not have a driver for Insteon.

Cheers,
g.

July 28, 2014, 04:24:29 PM
Reply #3

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Insteon can use X10 in most of it's modules, so it's possible that you could use HG in that mode.  Alternately, since HG is an open source project, you could write your own Insteon driver.

July 30, 2014, 11:53:29 AM
Reply #4

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer
An insteon driver library for C# already exists. So it shouldn't be hard to write a MIG interface that use it.

http://insteon.codeplex.com/

Cheers,
g.

August 02, 2014, 12:43:29 PM
Reply #5

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer
Experimental support for Insteon hardware is now being developed.
Since I don't have any insteon hardware, I'm looking for people having the SmartHome PowerLinc 2413S or 2413U adapter for testing with HG.

Cheers,
g.

August 06, 2014, 04:48:44 AM
Reply #6

bearhntr

• Information
g,

I hope to have one of these modules soon.  I am trying to decide on the HUB or the USB module.  I am waiting on an answer from INSTEON as the differences and which is the best way to go.

Do you know anything about the differences between them?

Either way, I will let you know once I have an INSTEON controller.

*BH*

August 09, 2014, 08:48:55 PM
Reply #7

friedpenguin

• Information
I want to test! I bought a SmartenIt ZBPLM and have two Insteon devices to test with. Unfortunately the ZBPLM isn't supported by Insteon's Houselinc so I haven't been able to test it. Linux recognized the USB 2 Serai controller and assigns the device to /dev/ttyUSB0 but I haven't had any luck with PLM tools at this point trying to communicate with it. I may break down and purchase a "supported" PLM so I know I can get up and running with something just to do some testing. OpenHAB sees the PLM too but I haven't had any success getting things setup up there either. I really like the super clean look of HG and the interface has a high WAF. I'm truly in the early stages of HA but have a Global Cache IP2IR in my box of goodies too once the Insteon stuff is up and running.

Let me know how I can help break things!! FWIW, I don't program but I can read ;)

Wee bit of edit: Found the testing thread, installed 408. Enabled Insteon support even though I don't have a listed model. Will work further with this.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:43:37 AM by friedpenguin »

August 20, 2014, 09:23:20 PM
Reply #8

Johnny H

• Information
I have a 2413U and other devices installed... if you need assistance.

Experimental support for Insteon hardware is now being developed.
Since I don't have any insteon hardware, I'm looking for people having the SmartHome PowerLinc 2413S or 2413U adapter for testing with HG.

Cheers,
g.

August 28, 2014, 05:43:12 PM
Reply #9

imaginator

• Information
I have a 2413U and other devices installed... if you need assistance.

Are you saying you have it working with HG? 

My setup seems to recognize the interface (2413U) but I don't know how to add my Insteon modules.  I have some experience with using X10 modules, but I am new to Insteon.  HG is relatively new to me as well. 

Right now I am using the 2413U with HouseLinc just to control a micro on/off since I keep forgetting to turn the pool off at night. :)

October 07, 2014, 06:29:27 AM
Reply #10

friedpenguin

• Information
ANYONE have Insteon pairings working with HG yet? I've gotten nowhere with my ZBPLM and on the verge of ordering a 2413U. No luck (*yet*) with OpenHAB or Misterhouse yet either. Can't seem to add an Insteon specific device. X10 or Hue options only from the looks of it for lights.

**UPDATE** Bought a 2413U. Did get plmtools to control the dimmer but that is NOT wife friendly in any way

**Next Update** Got zbpserver running on HomAidPi (Raspberry Pi, SmartenIt software). ZBPLM links with Insteon & Zigbee easily. Did finally get plmtools to control Insteon dimmer. Will still be looking at HomeGenie as a possible long term
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 06:49:44 AM by friedpenguin »

February 01, 2015, 10:47:16 PM
Reply #11

lastbit

• Information
I have a 2413U that is connected to GarageHawk and plug switches. I am also willing to do testing.

My Homegenie is currently running on Raspberry Pi connected to a zwave household network, and I would like to add the GarageHawk.

February 26, 2016, 03:27:43 AM
Reply #12

JJ

• Information
I am also willing to test if someone can point me in the right direction.

I am currently running HG (version v1.0-beta.493) on FreeBSD using X10 modules with some Insteon units available to be installed.

I connected the 2413U. The unit is recognized on the USB configuration. It created the /dev/cuau0 (a serial device) and /dev/ttyu0.  Although HG does not detect either of these and display them  in the drop-down selection box. So HG cannot connect to it and something is still obviously wrong.

usbconfig output - ugen3.10: <FT232R USB UART FTDI> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (90mA)