more G-Labs products

Author Topic: A simple how-to would be fantastic  (Read 4551 times)

February 24, 2015, 12:48:37 PM
Read 4551 times

jasperhb

• Information
Hi,

I'm new to Home Genie. I have a Vera 3 today, but I'm not satisfied with the performance and stability of Vera.

I've tried to get started with HG a couple of times by adding a a couple of Z-Wave devices simple switch, a thermostat (Stella-Z) and a Multi sensor (Fibaro FGMS-001).

Adding the z-Wave swich went just find and I can turn it on/off. Wauv :-)

However the Thermostat does not show up on the Dashboard at all, nor does the Fibaro FGMS-001. Both get added as Z-Wave nodes just fine under "Configure->Settings->ZWave interface Option+Add Node", but that is it.

I get the sense that I'm missing some fundamentals about basic configuring of HG, but looking around the documentation and the forum all I've found so far are more advanced stuff.

Hence, a simple how-to would make a lot of sense.

I'm running HG on a BananaPi with a the AEON ZWave USB stick.

Thanks.

Rgds,
The Newbie
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:51:53 PM by jasperhb »

February 24, 2015, 04:31:13 PM
Reply #1

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I don't use zwave, so I can't help with that.  But as far as getting things to show up on the dashboard...make sure you add them in the "Groups and Modules" configuration menu.  If you add the widget for the thermostat, it should show up.  Even if it doesn't work/isn't configured correctly you should see something if the widget is added.

Also note that the thermostat is a relatively new addition and may still be in beta (haven't tested it as I don't have a smart thermostat).  From what I've read, it should work well but if there are any issues found, please report them to the forum.

February 24, 2015, 11:24:15 PM
Reply #2

jasperhb

• Information
Thanks.

What about the Fibaro MGMS-001 multi-sensor, which coveres: motion, light and temperature?

When I look in the "Groups and Modules" section and try to add modules related to those sensors I do not find any. Either the selection is rather limited or there is a place where I can install/import other modules that I have not yet found?

February 28, 2015, 10:40:15 AM
Reply #3

jasperhb

• Information
I give up for now. Will look back in a years time :-)

March 01, 2015, 05:45:56 PM
Reply #4

dani

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I have FGMS-001 with Aeon Z Stick, and it works fine with HG, as you can see in the screen shot.
Dit you had all your modules before on the stick ? Instead of you have to add before and then press discover in the Interfaces screen.

Cheers
Dani

March 04, 2015, 09:00:20 AM
Reply #5

jasperhb

• Information
Thanks Dani,

I just saw the new documentation here: http://www.homegenie.it/docs/automation_widgets.php

I think the issue might be that my Configure->Automation section looks nothing like those sceen shots. For starters, I don't have or can't find the Widget Editor/list anywhere?! Also, where did you find the Fibaro FGMS-001 Widget? Was that part of the base installation or something you added from somewhere else or by yourself?

I get the feeling that I'm either lost in the interface or my installation is broken. It's straight of the to box on a brand new Banana Pi, so if the installation is broken I'm not sure why or how. Also, there are no updates available, so I guess the HG version is up-to-date.

I know how to code C#, but I find myself a few steps from that part yet.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:05:53 AM by jasperhb »

March 04, 2015, 11:27:22 AM
Reply #6

dani

• Information
  • Global Moderator
The actual version of HG is r482.
Yes the update is not automatic.
You have to get the .deb file and make the update by command line, if you run under linux :
dpkg -i homegenie-beta_1.00.r482_all.deb

Off course you have to copy the file on your sdcard

If you have a big configuration you have to save first. But I think it's better you restart Homegenie from scratch.
After that command line all parameters are lost.

March 04, 2015, 12:22:06 PM
Reply #7

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Tangible is the future!
    • Yet Another Programmer
Up to date install instructions are available from the download page:

http://www.homegenie.it/download.php

hope this helps.

Cheers,
g.

March 05, 2015, 11:41:30 PM
Reply #8

jasperhb

• Information
Thanks, but I think something is missing....

Cmd: sudo gdebi homegenie-beta_1.00.r482_all.deb

Result: --> gdebi error, file not found: homegenie-beta_1.00.r482_all.deb

Did I miss something?

Kind regards

March 06, 2015, 12:36:45 PM
Reply #9

dani

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I think you are not in the good folder, because gdebi doesn't find the file.
Use: ls   for have the list of files

March 06, 2015, 04:53:04 PM
Reply #10

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
You have to run gdebi from the directory where the .deb file is located.  If you don't have it on your Linux already, you can download it with wget.  It will be in the form of:

Code: [Select]
wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/homegenie/files/homegenie-beta_1.00.r403_all.deb
gdebi homegenie-beta_1.00.r403_all.deb