more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Raspbian installation instructions  (Read 4215 times)

January 14, 2017, 06:44:33 PM
Reply #45

raptorjr

• Information
I think it would be easier with SSH and just do:

wget https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/releases/download/v1.1-beta.525/homegenie-beta_1.1.r525_all.deb

And then install from whatever place you are in.

January 15, 2017, 02:48:56 AM
Reply #46

NAP1947

• Information
Thank you Petedescrete, it is working, I cannot for the life of me figure what I did wrong as the command you gave I had input before as part of the setup instructions.
Perhaps I will understand as I learn RPi, Raspbian and HomeGenie.
Now to attack HomeGenie and get my X10 devices operating again.
Cheers and thank you all for your help.
Norm

January 15, 2017, 02:57:10 AM
Reply #47

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
X10 is automation hardware.
X11 is a network protocol.  You'll see references to it a lot in Linux.

January 15, 2017, 02:41:01 PM
Reply #48

petediscrete

• Information
Good to hear Norm. Don't forget to take an image of HG when you have it fully configured. You can then experiment with you working copy to your hearts content knowing that you have a spare working copy on an SD card should you break your system.

February 08, 2017, 05:28:58 PM
Reply #49

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I am updating the installation instructions but found an issue right off the bat.  When downloading Raspbian Jessie, if you select a lite build and the date is after November 2016, ssh will be disabled by default.  This is an intentional choice by the team apparently intended to improve security.  As a result, prior to logging on remotely, a keyboard and HDMI monitor must be used to enable ssh.  Alternately, an older release must be used.

I'll document this in the instructions, but I wanted to point it out here, too.

February 10, 2017, 12:37:48 PM
Reply #50

petediscrete

• Information
Got caught out with this last week hence I did all the setup locally including sudo raspi-config and enabled SSH and all the other settings before I reverted to remote operation. The configuration tool has changed quite a bit between releases.

February 10, 2017, 04:20:48 PM
Reply #51

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I installed r525 on jessie 5/2016 last night.  I have it mostly configured but didn't have time to finish.  Some of the updates take FOREVER!  Once I finish updating things and testing that all functionality is still present, I'll upload a new guide.  The primary issue seems to be with email, but I'm going to try to get all other features set up and documented as well (samba, mqtt, etc).

March 07, 2017, 04:22:13 PM
Reply #52

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I just realized I didn't upload the guide.  The installation went smoothly and I haven't seen any issues, so I'll try to upload it today.

March 08, 2017, 02:51:15 AM
Reply #53

kevinvinv

• Information
Thanks!  Your guide has been very useful!

March 08, 2017, 05:10:29 AM
Reply #54

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
This is the updated guide.  It's not all that different, though I did confirm every step works.  The one thing to be careful of is using a newer version of Jessie than Nov 2016 will require a local login prior to using SSH as it's disabled by default.

April 07, 2017, 11:39:50 PM
Reply #55

pim555

• Information
@bkenobi, just ran the set-up process on RPI3 and after a bit of googling figured that SSH can be enabled by copying a file named 'ssh' (no extention) onto the boot partition of the SD card. That enables SSH without having to login locally.

Best
Pim

April 10, 2017, 05:28:37 PM
Reply #56

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
The boot partition is EXT3 formatted.  I write the image file from Windows to the SD card.  To add a "SSH" file to the boot partition, I'd need to be able to mount the boot partition of the SD card and have write access.  Do you have an easy option for how to get the file onto the card without already having a working Linux machine?  If so, I'd love to add those instructions to the guide!  It seems like using a current version would be much better as going through all the updates from an older version can take hours.

April 14, 2017, 09:25:42 PM
Reply #57

pim555

• Information
I just put the SD card into my Windows 10 laptop and create a file called ssh (without extension) on it...

April 15, 2017, 12:31:55 AM
Reply #58

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
From memory, there are 2 partitions on the Raspian image.  One is the boot partition formatted in EXT3 and the second some kind of windows readable (FAT32?) format.  When I've put a RPi formatted SD in my laptop in the past, I was pretty sure I could only see the second partition.  But, if you just have to put a file on that partition called "ssh", that would be really easy.  I create the card on my PC anyway, so that's simple enough.

Come to think of it, I could just try on a random card this weekend and write up the process.

Thanks!

April 15, 2017, 10:17:23 AM
Reply #59

pim555

• Information
Must have been the windows readable partition as that is where I put the file...