more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Help! Windows 10 firewall problem  (Read 1123 times)

April 16, 2016, 08:46:06 AM
Read 1123 times

abwyatt

• Information
Hi guys

I'm a HG newb. A long time AHP PLC/X10 user, now wanting to expand my home system using newer technologies like Z-Wave. Love how easy HG is to setup and use so far. No problems with connecting my existing CM15 module and setting up schedules/macros. And HomeGenie Plus (purchased it) looks like a lot of eye candy compared to X10 Commander which I've been using for years.

My problem is with the Windows 10 firewall, which on the surface seems so trivial but has frustrated all my attempts to troubleshoot over the last day or so. So I need a fresh pair of eyes/ears to hopefully get me out of my jam.

I note a few forum posts regarding problems with the Windows Firewall, but none of them have helped me after trying out the suggestions. Specifically:
http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=503.15
http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=564.0

Eventually I want to run HG off my QNAP Windows 10 VM. I initially did this troubleshooting on the Win 10 VM, but when I started having problems with the firewall, I've resorted to troubleshooting on my Windows 10 desktop. It has a fresh install of HG 515, and of course my Android mobile has the latest HG Plus.

Through a process of elimination, I narrowed the problem down to the Win10 firewall because I can access the HG service and interface from both the LAN and WAN (using my DDNS service) and from both my laptop and mobile as long as I turn off the Win10 firewall. As soon as I turn on the Win10 firewall, I lose access to HG.

What have I tried with the firewall? All the following tests I have done just on the LAN to eliminate any other complications.

First of all, with a fresh install of HG on my Win10 desktop, I noticed that the firewall installs a rule for HomeGenieManager only. With just this rule, discovery from HG Plus does not pick up anything. To get HG Plus discovery to pick up the HG server, I had to add a firewall rule for HomeGenie. With this rule installed discovery picks up the correct IP and port. However, HG Plus fails to connect on the discovered IP and port. BTW, I have also tried the free Android HG with manual IP and port setup, with the same results.

Next, in a shotgun approach, I added rules for all the HG executables and even the service. That didn't work. For all the rules I've manually installed, I've tried being selective with ports and protocols (both TCP and UDP), and opening it wide open with all and any protocols and ports respectively. Nothing has worked.

I've tried different ports in HG and the firewall starting with the default 80, but that also did not work. Note that whatever port I setup in HG, it never broke access with the Win10 firewall off. I've been able to access HG from WAN with all the ports I've tried.

So what gives with HG and the Win10 firewall? Can anyone provide a fresh set of eyes on this? My mind's at a loss and this thing has got me beat.

This would be a deal breaker for me if I can't get HG Plus to work without a windows firewall, which would be a real pity.

Cheers
Andrew
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:26:47 PM by abwyatt »

April 17, 2016, 04:36:16 AM
Reply #1

abwyatt

• Information
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that this is a bug in HG.

Does anyone have HG running on Windows 10 with the firewall up?

April 30, 2016, 02:19:14 PM
Reply #2

MacGyver

• Information
I have it working on win 10 and it did stop working when I did the update. I reverted back to 512 and it still did not work. I then tried setting my ports to another number of 7777 and it started working again. Until I have more time to track it down 7777 will have to do for now. So I think it is more of a windows firewall issue than a hg issue.
The ten most dangerous words in the English language are "Hi, I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."

RONALD REAGAN July 28, 1988

April 30, 2016, 09:50:52 PM
Reply #3

tasioX

• Information
Do you have and Antivirus software running.  They often have additional firewalls that block specific ports.

Otherwise it is also possible that something else on your system is using port 80 which is why it works on a different port.  All kinds of software use that port ex: Teamviewer, IIS, Gotomypc, etc.

I would also do one more firewall rule but do it by port not by program. Type port 6004 or whatever port you decide to use, and select TCP.  Apply it to Domain, Public, and Private.  Nothing else needs to be changes.  If all else fails just turn the firewall off completely for a test if it still fails its not the firewall.

You probably shouldn't limit a program based firewall by port number.  If you want to open a port don't specify a  program.  If you want to let a program through you shouldn't specify a port number.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:02:04 PM by tasioX »