more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Aeon Labs USB Adapter Gen5 (AEO_EZW090-C)  (Read 2040 times)

June 08, 2015, 12:33:18 PM
Read 2040 times

HellStorm666

• Information
Hi there,

Is the new Aeon Labs USB stick (Gen5) supported? SKU: AEO_EZW090-C
And if not, when will it be?

Ordering one next week and want to use it with HG.

June 10, 2015, 02:51:24 PM
Reply #1

N1XRR

• Information
I'm using the Aeon Gen5 USB stick and it's working perfectly fine with Homegenie (on a Raspberry Pi, if that matters).  Nothing special to do to get it to work either.

June 11, 2015, 05:15:23 PM
Reply #2

mikeH

• Information
I wish I had understood the Gen5 vs S2 better before ordering mine.  Are we able to confirm that they aren't the same after a firmware update?

June 12, 2015, 06:24:33 PM
Reply #3

RoChess

• Information
Gen5 relates to 500-series of Z-Wave chipset. As in the actual chip inside the controller (or devices). This can never be solved with a software based firmware upgrade.

The 500-series increases range, speed, stability, and support for more features. Z-Wave+ for example is supported by most devices that use a 500-series chipset, which allows Z-Wave to push firmware updates to devices that need it, as well as other features.

If price is relatively the same, then always go for Gen5/500-series items. Full backwards, and forward Z-Wave compatability remains though, so the old stuff can talk to new stuff, and new stuff can talk to old stuff. You simply miss out on some cool new features; without Z-Wave+ firmware updates you have to hook up most devices via USB for example and push the update manually.

In 6 more days HomeSeer will start to finally ship their HomeSeer SmartStick+, which is a Z-Wave+ USB controller that is $39.95 and offers some additional features. It is available for pre-order already. I am moving away from Vera3 to HomeSeer (HomeGenie does not support Z-Wave secure command class so was forced to move to another solution), and the SmartStick+ will allow me to "copy" the Vera3 Z-Wave network, as I totally dread having to unpair, and reconnect 60+ devices (some in hard to reach locations).

June 12, 2015, 07:38:06 PM
Reply #4

mikeH

• Information
That's what I figured.  The whole product line offering is very confusing as most sites offer multiple "versions/generations" of the products.  Is there any reason you are going with a HomeSeer stick instead of having already bought an Aeon Labs Gen5?

January 17, 2016, 04:07:31 AM
Reply #5

codeslinger

• Information
I am moving away from Vera3 to HomeSeer (HomeGenie does not support Z-Wave secure command class so was forced to move to another solution), and the SmartStick+ will allow me to "copy" the Vera3 Z-Wave network, as I totally dread having to unpair, and reconnect 60+ devices (some in hard to reach locations).

How did that go with HomeSeer? I just tried it and found the HS3Pro UI horrible, incomplete, clunky and buggy.