more G-Labs products

Author Topic: New quad core single board computer  (Read 8607 times)

January 12, 2015, 04:25:40 PM
Reply #15

drpepper

• Information
Hey Louis, as far as I know, the mono-odroid package is the MRE (mono runtime environment) not the MDK (mono development kit). So you can run mono programs with it (such as HomeGenie.exe) but it's not a compile environment. You can download the homegenie tgz and run it on your C1 with that package, but checking out source and compiling it on there will require some dependencies to be installed.

January 12, 2015, 04:50:43 PM
Reply #16

louis

• Information
Hi drpepper,

Thanks for the quick response  ;)

You mean that it's also not possible to compile any Csharp code in homegenie self ?

Cheers

Louis

January 12, 2015, 08:23:57 PM
Reply #17

louis

• Information
Did some more googeling ;-)

Found a compile option for mcs that worked:

mcs test.cs -pkg:dotnet -lib:/usr/local/lib/mono/4.0

After some fiddling in the startup script I ended up with the following startup.sh:

===========================================================
#!/bin/sh
export MONO_PATH=/usr/local/lib/mono/4.0
if [ -f /usr/bin/mono ]
then
        MONO=/usr/bin/mono
else
        MONO=/usr/local/bin/mono
fi

EXITCODE="1"
while [ "$EXITCODE" = "1" ]; do
        if [ -z "$1" ]
        then
                $MONO HomeGenie.exe -pkg:dotnet
        else
                cd $1
                $MONO HomeGenie.exe -pkg:dotnet >/dev/null  2>&1
        fi
        EXITCODE="$?"
        echo "Exit code: $EXITCODE"
done
===========================================================

i had to remove the sudo because this resets the environment.

@gene:
- is there a reason for using a seperate script instead of incorperating it in the init script ?
- is there a possiblity of adding these changes to your repository ?

TIA

Louis

January 25, 2015, 07:15:25 PM
Reply #18

v11

• Information

I wonder if Homegenie work with this motherboard> Odroid XU3 Lite?
  Now I ordered one piece and are curious if a pinout that is going to GPIO ....
   Please excuse me for English ... :)

Thanks.

January 16, 2016, 07:07:46 PM
Reply #19

lastbit

• Information
Also the Odroid C1+.  This computers also have GPIO pin outs. Much like the Raspberry Pi.

January 17, 2016, 11:53:23 AM
Reply #20

[email protected]

• Information
Bit of an old thread but quite like the Look of these,  how did people get on with them?  May order one and pass it off as a birthday present!

February 10, 2016, 05:29:27 PM
Reply #21

kevin1

• Information
So, is this powerful enough to run HG server and a UI/browser attached to HDTV?  And finally turn off the noisy / hot laptop :-)

February 10, 2016, 06:56:53 PM
Reply #22

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
HG is a service so no issue there.  GUI means you need a graphics interface meaning Windows or Xwindows.  A Pi can do that easily.  If this is as powerful as a Pi v1, it should work...

February 12, 2016, 12:18:16 AM
Reply #23

petediscrete

• Information
I still don't understand how anyone could justify running a PC or laptop with HG. Why use an elephant gun to shoot a mouse. The RPI or equivalent is more than capable of controlling all of the needs of HG. I think MS Windows has taken control of everyone and it's hard to break the dependency.

Personally I haven't purchased a MS product since 2005 and believe me I never will again. HG is ideal for an embedded solution. Surely that's what the IoT is all about. Green solutions.

Why do people ask for an iPhone app when clearly the Android app is more than capable.

Computing is all about open source, collaborating and working through problems and finding solutions. We don't need any one individual to ever have a stranglehold on our day to day lives

February 12, 2016, 03:24:07 AM
Reply #24

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Windows is the only option for most of the corporate computers in the world.  There are other options, but no business considers it a viable option at this time.  For power users, Linux/Unix servers are very commonly used but office type users are not typically given that option.

That said, Windows is not the best choice for IoT IMO.  It is the best choice IF the computer you install it on is always on anyway.  I have a file server that is running a RAID5 and is on 24x7.  If there was a cheaper option at the time I built it, I'd have gone another way.  However, there is still no other choice that I've seen that gives file access and a viable redundant hardware RAID that would be significantly less energy hungry.  I had my HA software running on that system for years in a headless setup.  I much prefer the RPi, but it was not an option when I started years ago.

As for an iPhone app...if you have an iPhone, you can't install either the Windows or Android apps.

February 12, 2016, 03:44:34 PM
Reply #25

kevin1

• Information
I have the elephant gun (windows laptop) sitting there with idle processing time, I don't have rasberry pi (yet).  Nothing against pi, I've used unix/linux computers 20+ years and usually install cygwin on every windows pc I use.  Linux computers typically are more difficult to configure and I don't have much time free time to spend with trying various distros, images, mono versions, etc.  Then I would want a media center kodi variant for the pi and connect to tv.....   

Anyone know of a "HTPC" case for Pi?  Not a traditional pi case that is same size as pi with openings for ports.  Thinking of something about size / looks of small dvd player, a cover that would hide all the wires, sensors, usb sticks, etc... so I could place it near my tv.  I'd want all the cables routed to the back of the case.  Maybe just buy a dvd player from goodwill or something :-)

I find that HG can cause performance issues on i7 processor so that makes me wonder how performance can be on pi. 

Regarding iOS, I have android phone and HG+.  I also have an ipad so iOS version would be great for it.  A Win10 metro type app would be cool too.  I like all the platforms.  Agree with both sides of the windows comments.  Open source everything would be great idea but in corporate world "FOSS" is not so free and open.

I don't know if IoT is about being green; certainly you could use it for that with home energy monitoring etc.  For me IoT or more relevant to this area... HG is more about smart home / automation / security / equipment monitoring.

February 12, 2016, 05:52:02 PM
Reply #26

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
HA is certainly not about being green.  Anyone who tells you that is wrong.  It is possible to reduce certain energy usage by using controlled modules, but there are other things never considered.  If you have an exterior light that uses a 100W bulb and runs 24x7, you use 2400Wh per day.  If you use a dusk/dawn sensor, you can reduce that by approx half (1200Wh).  If a motion sensor is used, you can even go lower depending on how many times motion is sensed so maybe 1 hour (100Wh).  If you use a HA module of some kind, you can also control it remotely which doesn't save energy but does make it more flexible.

A standard light switch uses 0W as it's simply a on/off toggle switch.  If you use anything else, it will use some power even when off.  A photo sensor is basically 0W.  A motion sensor uses some power, but I can't locate anything that indicates how much.  I'll assume it's fairly small (1-2W).  A HA module gives no real benefit to efficiency over a motion sensor/dusk/dawn type light but uses more power.  I've read that X10 modules use at least 3W per module.  In my case, I have at least a couple dozen modules plus the various transmitters and other equipment.

I'd guess I'm using close to 100W just for the modules and that's on 24x7 (2400Wh per day).  So, if my goal was to reduce my energy footprint, I would eliminate all HA modules and install dusk/dawn/motion sensors on outdoor lights.  Also, a RPi is much lower power than a full PC, but it still uses some energy.  If you want to save the world, HA is not the way to do it.  If you want to come home and have lights turn on for you, the fireplace kick on, music start playing, and a voice say "welcome home", you are in the right place.

November 25, 2016, 08:36:58 AM
Reply #27

rainsee

• Information
I like the Graperain quad core single board computer. It has enough eMMC to run Ubuntu or Debian with a full GUI and you can get a 4" or 7" touch screen cape for it. It is tiny, about the size of a credit card or Altoids can, barely bigger than a Z-Stick. Amazon has an aluminum case for it too. Runs HG effortlessly.