more G-Labs products

Author Topic: IFTTT Support  (Read 2357 times)

September 10, 2014, 11:29:21 PM
Read 2357 times

Synthesis

• Information
I was wondering if there were any plans to support If This Then That (www.ifttt.com) for automating basic tasks.

I envision the ability to have an IFTTT recipe that would notify the HomeGenie server that I have entered my home area and enable a "welcome home" function. This function would turn on all of the exterior lights when I enter the designated geographical area.

It would work with any device that sends the specific command that says something along the lines of "I'm home!", without the need to run the phone app or do anything.

IFTTT could open up a very large world of possibilities to HomeGenie.

September 12, 2014, 02:53:58 PM
Reply #1

RichieC

• Information
Homegenie does have Raspberry Sharp wizard scripts which are pretty much what you are looking for i think..

Just go to configure > automation > Raspberry Sharp and then click the Actions menu at the bottom of the screen and select add new program.

It is fairly straightforward to add a wizard script even if you dont know any C# code...

September 12, 2014, 07:08:55 PM
Reply #2

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I know nothing about ifttt, but it almost looks like the service is a web based model that triggers things from/to other things.   IOW, your trigger is Facebook posting something and your action is downloading something else.  I'm left unclear where the logic is run from though.  If the code were stored on your cell phone, the ifttt would only trigger if and when you have web access.  So, I assume the app is used to connect to the ifttt server to send triggers and allow for actions.

Either way, the only difference is what exactly you want from HG.  If it needs to communicate to the ifttt server, they really would have to publish an API or document how to do it.

September 12, 2014, 07:17:32 PM
Reply #3

Synthesis

• Information
They are releasing the API soon. :)

Yes, it does require the web in order to work, but whether that happens through IFTTT or some other solution doesn't matter.
Adding the functionality for location awareness and the ability to send commands based on that location is ideally what I'm after.

I don't program, have no coding experience at all, sadly.
You give me a box of hardware parts and I'll run circles around most people though...
I know what I WANT to happen, I have no way to make it happen and IFTTT seems like one of the best ways to make it happen.