more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Help - IE Browser Not Working With HG  (Read 4704 times)

February 15, 2015, 01:47:12 PM
Read 4704 times

gcoupe

• Information
This is probably very simple, but I'm too dumb to be able to figure it out.

Something has caused my IE Browsers on my client PCs not to work with HG (running on a server in my home network). Chrome browsers continue to work fine, but every IE browser displays a web page like this:

http://1drv.ms/1Aach6O

It seems to be caused by the fact that the browser can't access scripts in the JS directory.

http://1drv.ms/1DUgr5z

But if it's access rights in the HomeGenie directories, why would Chrome not have the same problem?

Can anyone please give me a clue? Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:48:46 PM by gcoupe »

February 15, 2015, 08:25:09 PM
Reply #1

CptJack

• Information
I had this problem, too - try using the IP address instead. I have my server mapped to an external name, so I found that works, too. Pretty much anything except the actual machine name works for me, but I don't know why.

February 15, 2015, 08:44:05 PM
Reply #2

gcoupe

• Information
Aha - Thank you, thank you. That was the trick. The machine name works in Chrome, but not in IE.

February 16, 2015, 06:28:35 PM
Reply #3

RoChess

• Information
IE advanced settings have an option "Go to an intranet site for a single word entry in the Address bar" for this exact reason

February 16, 2015, 06:41:16 PM
Reply #4

gcoupe

• Information
IE advanced settings have an option "Go to an intranet site for a single word entry in the Address bar" for this exact reason
a) that's in the Advanced Settings, which is tantamount to saying "Here be Dragons" to the average user.
b) The sentence used to define that setting is also not exactly crystal-clear to most people, I would wager.
c) I completely missed it, despite trying to work out what on earth many of the settings were meant to be doing.
d) The rest of the web sites I have on my server don't seem to require this setting; they (and the Chrome Browser) seem to function very well when just given the server name.

And once again, thank you to CptJack for cutting to the chase and providing the solution.

Oh - and I've just checked that setting, restarted IE, and it has no effect on the HG web. It still does not render as it should. The only way to see the HG site on my server is to supply the IP address as CptJack suggested.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:49:23 PM by gcoupe »

February 16, 2015, 06:47:41 PM
Reply #5

CptJack

• Information
Wow, I didn't even know that setting existed, and I use IE for development on a daily basis. The other problem is that it doesn't actually fix anything with HG - I turned it on, saved, closed, rebooted - same problem. I turned it back off, since I've never needed it before. Thanks for the info. though.

February 17, 2015, 01:07:08 AM
Reply #6

RoChess

• Information
The real problem is with the NetBIOS resolvement I would think (since IP works).

What does nbtstat -a <name>, and nbtstat -r tell you? Is the name registered/resolving? And finally does it resolve back to the LAN IP (ping <name>)?

Nevermind, it wouldn't work in Chrome then. Only thing I can think off is that you are running a non-internet friendly security zone profile for local IPs. Did you perhaps add the hostname to a seperate zone? That would explain why IP works, as you can tell a NetBIOS name to go into zone A, when the resolving IP goes into zone B. And there are plenty of security settings that can deny loading the jQuery file.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:14:24 AM by RoChess »

February 17, 2015, 02:08:25 AM
Reply #7

CptJack

• Information
I change/reload my machines pretty often, so I don't tend to fiddle with the settings (it also helps keep it as similar as possible to what my users would have). I have this problem on IE11 in both 8.1 and 10, on two different machines - the 8.1 machine is my development machine, but the 10 machine is bone stock.

February 17, 2015, 08:26:40 AM
Reply #8

gcoupe

• Information
Only thing I can think off is that you are running a non-internet friendly security zone profile for local IPs. Did you perhaps add the hostname to a seperate zone? That would explain why IP works, as you can tell a NetBIOS name to go into zone A, when the resolving IP goes into zone B. And there are plenty of security settings that can deny loading the jQuery file.

No, IE has the Default settings for the Intranet zone, and all my home devices sit in the one (default) subnet. I'm a completely vanilla person. It's all a bit odd.

February 19, 2015, 12:11:32 AM
Reply #9

RoChess

• Information
Assumptions are dangerous though.

So in IE please load site via http://<IP>, and then do ALT -> File -> Properties, and copy down the "Zone:" info.

Then do the same when you use http://<netBIOSname>

If the zone info is identical then I have no more ideas without having ability to reproduce.

February 19, 2015, 07:53:00 AM
Reply #10

gcoupe

• Information
Http://192.168.178.24:81/ gives: Internet | Protected Mode: On

and http://<servername>:81/ gives: Local intranet | Protected Mode: Off

So, there is a difference, and why the local subnet should be deemed to be in the Internet zone, I have no idea...

February 20, 2015, 12:49:30 AM
Reply #11

RoChess

• Information
Local internet zone is highly protective by default, 3rd party scripts, etc are all blocked.

So that explains why jQuery won't load.

February 20, 2015, 09:14:24 AM
Reply #12

gcoupe

• Information
Local internet zone is highly protective by default, 3rd party scripts, etc are all blocked.

So that explains why jQuery won't load.

Er, are you sure about that? The http://<servername> is in the Intranet zone, not the Internet zone. The Intranet zone is NOT "highly protected" - it has more relaxed security than the Internet zone. So why ain't the jQuery scripts loading?

February 20, 2015, 08:05:24 PM
Reply #13

RoChess

• Information
my bad lol, I always put local intranet zone at high+protective, and got so used to it, that I thought it was default.

However "Binary and script behaviours" for example is disabled in intranet mode.

This is enabled for the default internet zone.

That is just one out of hundreds of settings that might be it (the one I suspect the most though)

February 20, 2015, 08:57:23 PM
Reply #14

gcoupe

• Information
However "Binary and script behaviours" for example is disabled in intranet mode.

This is enabled for the default internet zone.

That is just one out of hundreds of settings that might be it (the one I suspect the most though)

Nope, not that one - it's enabled in the default Intranet setting in my IE11... I think we'll just have to put this down to the fact that Microsoft moves in mysterious ways, their wonders to perform (or not, as the case might be).