more G-Labs products

Author Topic: ZWave ZStick with GE 45600 Secondary Controller  (Read 4105 times)

November 26, 2014, 11:37:31 PM
Read 4105 times

ahill44

• Information
I have a ZWave network set up with a ZStick working as expected.  I would like to add a secondary controller (remote).  I have the secondary controller added to the network, but I'm not sure how to set it up in HG - that is, I don't know what type of module to set it up as or if this is even possible.  Any help is appreciated, and I'm sure I've left out some vital piece of information, so let me know what other info I need to include.  Thanks!

November 28, 2014, 11:21:51 PM
Reply #1

jshan

• Information
Over on amazon.com, PK88 posted a review and covered how to get the remote set up as a scene controller with a Vera controller - sounds similar to what you want to do with HG and may offer some useful info.  Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2D8QMWY7IV3CT/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0013V6RW0&nodeID=228013&store=hi

I looked at the pepper database and didn't see this specific remote, but there's a Z-URC-550 remote that can be used a scene controller - I have no idea if it will work in HG and if the GE 45600 would be similar.

Good luck.  Please post your findings.

- JohnS

November 30, 2014, 10:47:51 PM
Reply #2

ahill44

• Information
Thanks for the link.  I used a much shorter version of that to get the 45600 paired with my Z Stick.  Pairing it to the network, All On and All Off works fine.  I followed those instructions, but I still can't get scenes or individual switches to work.  I'm pretty new to z wave, so I may be way off, but it seems like pairing with the Vera (the second time) actually loads the scenes from the Vera onto the remote.  I have no idea how to make the Z Stick do that, but I'll keep messing with it as I have time.

On another note, are there any secondary controller remotes that people are using and recommend with HG?

December 23, 2014, 04:19:32 AM
Reply #3

Cash at Folsom

• Information
Did anybody ever get this figured out?  It seems there are some pretty hacky ways to get this working as a secondary controller with other systems, but so far I can only get all-on/all-off to work.

December 23, 2014, 04:38:53 AM
Reply #4

ahill44

• Information
Based on the instructions for getting this set up with the MCV, it sounds like the actual ZWave scenes get loaded to the controller with the nodes (someone correct me if I'm missing something there). So I think the disconnect is that HG doesn't have a "formal" ZWave scene.  I had hoped this could just be added as a node with several buttons that could trigger HG actions, but at this point, I'm not even sure if that's possible.  I'd even be ok for now to get on/off control for some individual lights, but nothing I have tried has worked so far.

December 23, 2014, 04:40:52 AM
Reply #5

Cash at Folsom

• Information
That's the read I was getting from threads on other forums.

Perhaps this one just goes into the drawer with my other "someday" hardware.

December 23, 2014, 04:48:19 AM
Reply #6

ahill44

• Information
I think if we can figure out what the structure is of a scene and how to get that loaded onto the zstick, we'll be in business. I think the pro version of InControl offers that, so it seems like it's at least possible (not sure how much trouble it would be though).

January 01, 2015, 08:11:54 PM
Reply #7

ahill44

• Information
FWIW, I have also not been able to get the suggestion in this post to work.
http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.php?p=1055186&postcount=13

He suggests that after adding the remote as a secondary controller to the ZStick, you can simply add the lights again to the GE remote.  I assumed this would mess with the ZStick, but in my experience, it just won't let me add them to the remote.

January 10, 2015, 08:02:59 PM
Reply #8

ahill44

• Information
Still no luck with the GE controller, but I ordered an Aeon Labs Minimote and got it set up within a matter of minutes.  It doesn't actually interface with HG, but it can control its own scenes just fine.

January 10, 2015, 08:30:02 PM
Reply #9

Cash at Folsom

• Information
Still no luck with the GE controller, but I ordered an Aeon Labs Minimote and got it set up within a matter of minutes.  It doesn't actually interface with HG, but it can control its own scenes just fine.

Can I ask which version you purchased?  It appears that Version 2 is almost twice as expensive as the older model.  Also, if it's not actually passing commands to HG, I'm not sure it'll be useful for my purposes.  I have a hacked Wink hub connected to my system so that I can control those cheap GE Zigbee bulbs through HG.

January 10, 2015, 08:33:51 PM
Reply #10

ahill44

• Information
I purchased the v1 minimote.  Based on a few forums that I read, the v1 with the latest firmware works exactly the same as the v2, so I took the gamble, and it is working as advertised.  For how it actually works, I just replicated the network from my zstick and then followed the directions on their site to program scenes directly onto the minimote.

http://aeotec.com/small-z-wave-remote-control/935-minimote-manual-instructions.html

November 06, 2015, 06:45:12 PM
Reply #11

kevin1

• Information
Did anyone ever get the GE 45600 remote to work?  It's only $10 on Amazon... http://amzn.com/B0013V6RW0

November 07, 2015, 12:31:53 AM
Reply #12

ahill44

• Information
I was never able to get it to work.  I still have one in a drawer somewhere if somebody else has any guidance, though.  For what it's worth, I've been pretty happy with the Aeon Labs MiniMote (which is currently on sale for $19 at BuyDig http://dealnews.com/Aeon-Labs-Z-Wave-Minimote-Remote-for-19-free-shipping-w-Prime/1495264.html)