more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Initial HG installation with zstick opens blank browser page at 192.168.0.18  (Read 3331 times)

December 15, 2014, 11:36:16 PM
Read 3331 times

whutchi

• Information
I'm a professional programmer with good debugging skills, but I'm ready to eat crow for being dumb here, since nobody else seems to have such a basic problem.  I have a z stick that I paired with a zwave module and installed the windows driver for it on my Windows 8 laptop, so it shows up in device manager. I downloaded the Windows version of HomeGenie and ran the installer, which seems to have installed correctly, so Task Manager shows HomeGenie Service, HomeGenie Manager, and HomeGenie.exe all running, with the little HomeGenie service icon in my taskbar.  But when I right click the icon and select open HomeGenie, it opens a browser page on 192.168.0.18 with nothing on the page. Same if I start from the Start menu.  I've done complete reinstalls with no improvement.
   This seems very odd since nobody else in the forum or other googling seems to have any problem opening the program correctly. I very much want to get it working, so appreciate all help.

December 16, 2014, 12:10:29 AM
Reply #1

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Tangible is the future!
    • Yet Another Programmer
Hi,

probably HomeGenie couldn't bind tcp port 80 (any other app using it?), so it might be running on port 8080 (or next available after that).
Unfortunately the HomeGenie manager which is supposed to open HG web page, has a bug:

https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/issues/34

so if HomeGenie started on a different port, you'll have to find out somehow or perhaps by checking in the systemconfig.xml text file that is located in the HG program folder.

Cheers,
g.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:12:03 AM by Gene »

December 16, 2014, 02:56:30 AM
Reply #2

whutchi

• Information
I see that systemconfig.xml does specify the port as 80. Is there a workaround for this, or am I stuck?

To get at the bug to work around it, I'm trying to build HomeGenie for Android from your source code, but I can't get Eclipse to find the /deps libraries that are provided along with the HG src. The project.properties file correctly specifies their location relative to the properties file to be ../deps/[folder 1] and ../deps/[folder 2].  I'm a new user of Eclipse--any suggestions?

December 16, 2014, 04:03:35 AM
Reply #3

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer
I'm not sure why would you build HomeGenie Android?
Btw try browsing your network like shown in the image.

g.

December 16, 2014, 07:47:42 PM
Reply #4

whutchi

• Information
Sorry, it wasn't obvious why I was building HomeGenie from source code for Android. That's actually my target environment, but I started on the Windows laptop because I thought it might be easier to start there.

I actually got the HomeGenie source code for Android configured correctly and building in Eclipse and it is running there. Maybe I should start a new thread for this question, let me know:  the Settings screen pops up asking the "homegenie service address". Even in Android, the default filled in is 127.0.0.1, which must be wrong.  How am I supposed to find what the service address is? I have the zstick installed on my laptop. Again, I apologize for seeming to be a dumb question that nobody else is asking.

December 16, 2014, 08:14:18 PM
Reply #5

whutchi

• Information
ps--I'm inferring that I should use the local IP address of the laptop where zstick is installed and connected, 192.168.0.18.  Since it's not connecting, it's probably the port availability issue that you explained earlier in this thread?

December 16, 2014, 08:23:56 PM
Reply #6

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer
The Android app automatically discovers HomeGenie IP address. The "127.0.0.1" address should be replaced with HG address after few seconds the app is started. If it's not doing so, and not even connecting with manually entering the correct addres, then it must be some firewall related problem.

Cheers,
g.

December 18, 2014, 12:18:44 AM
Reply #7

whutchi

• Information
Thanks for your suggestion to check Networks. HomeGenie shows up as running on 192.168.0.18:80, which as I mentioned is the local IP address and the default port 80. Also, Task Manager shows HomeGenie.exe, HomeGenie manager, and HomeGenie Service all running. But when I open HomeGenie either from the taskbar icon or from the start menu, I get a blank screen that finally times our trying to connect to that address. I also tried turning off the firewall, but that doesn't fix it. I also tried to log on from the Android tablet where the HomeGenie client is running, but it runs forever "connecting". It's the same whether I use the local IP address or localhost or 127.0.0.1.

So the program is there and running at the exact address we expect, but nothing can show it, even with the firewall off. Any suggestions?

December 18, 2014, 12:45:24 AM
Reply #8

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer

December 18, 2014, 03:35:32 AM
Reply #9

James

• Information
another thing you can try, I was having trouble connecting and trying to figure out why, so under Maintenance I changed the port to 8088 and restarted the service then tried to connect using http://192.168.0.25:8088
and it worked, after some troubleshooting I found my Windows Home server was getting the request for port 80 so I did some reconfiguration and now they both work.

may not help but its worth a try :)

December 18, 2014, 05:54:23 AM
Reply #10

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
Did you try the advice about configure the win7 firewall ? It's appear just a desactivate doesn't work.
http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=503.msg2940#msg2940
Bye

December 18, 2014, 07:21:08 PM
Reply #11

whutchi

• Information
Thank you James and Nolio!  James hit the solution.  I had actually tried opening at the different ports including 8088, but HG wasn't running there, it was at :80 as Windows confirmed.  So I went to the systemconfig.xml and set the port to 8088 there to force it, then restarted HG. When I just hit "Open HG" it still doesn't show (meaning that the Open command apparently doesn't check the systemconfig file). But when I added :8088 to the IP showing in the browser that Open had put there (localhost), it worked!

Thanks Gene for sticking with this so long, and James for pushing it over the top.