more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Troubleshooting Z-Wave thermostat  (Read 5508 times)

August 15, 2015, 03:04:11 PM
Read 5508 times

michmill

• Information
I have a 2Gig CT30e z-wave thermostat (it's in the Pepper DB) that I've been using for a few years with HomeSeer.  I recently converted to HomeGenie on Ubuntu, and I'm having trouble polling the thermostat and setting SetPoints now. It worked fine with HomeSeer. I deleted and re-added the thermostat to the primary controller. The thermostat command "Off" seems to be the most reliable, but it responds only about 60% of the time.  SetPoints have never worked since moving to HG.

Is there a z-wave log file to help me troubleshoot the communication issues?  Is anyone using HomeGenie with the CT30e thermostat?

Cheers,
Mike

August 22, 2015, 03:30:08 PM
Reply #1

bradvoy

• Information
I ran into a similar problem with my Radio Thermostat CT101 thermostats.  HomeGenie used to control them just fine, but a few months ago HomeGenie stopped being able to change the setpoints.  See the thread I started at http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=951.0.  A couple of people tried to help me with this problem, but we didn't make any progress. 

September 22, 2015, 02:59:54 AM
Reply #2

michmill

• Information
I think I may have found the problem.  The thermostat is reporting it's temp back to HomeGenie in Celsius, but HomeGenie is sending the setpoint to the thermostat is Fahrenheit.  I'd like to try sending the setpoint in Celsius.

Does anyone know which module I should look at to find where it's sending the setpoint so I can do the conversion to C before it's sent?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers,
Mike

September 22, 2015, 04:05:02 AM
Reply #3

michmill

• Information
The widget sending Fahrenheit instead of Celsius to the thermostat is definitely the issue.  I changed the widget to display Celsius.  I changed the setpoint using the widget, and it sent Celsius to the thermostat, which it happily accepted.

So, is there an central place in the HG code I can modify that will always do the F->C conversion?

Cheers,
Mike

September 24, 2015, 04:56:31 PM
Reply #4

Maximo

• Information
I'll be following this thread with interest as I have two thermostats.

September 25, 2015, 06:32:07 AM
Reply #5

michmill

• Information
I've modified the generic thermostat widget and the Timetable program to handle the CT30 thermostat.  Both programs need a little more testing.

I'm now modifying the Z-Wave thermostat polling program to retrieve the current setpoint.

Let me know if you want me to post work in progress.

Cheers,
Mike

September 27, 2015, 06:25:58 PM
Reply #6

bradvoy

• Information
I would be happy to test what you have so far with my CT-101 thermostats.

September 27, 2015, 10:25:09 PM
Reply #7

Maximo

• Information
Let me know if you want me to post work in progress.

Yes please.

Thanks, Garry

September 28, 2015, 03:10:24 AM
Reply #8

michmill

• Information
I've uploaded my changes to the Z-Wave thermostat poll program, Timetable program, and the generic thermostat widget to a different thread here.

It works great on my setup.  I hope this helps other people, too.

Cheers,
Mike

September 29, 2015, 01:45:49 PM
Reply #9

Maximo

• Information
I've tried your altered code but it's not worked for my setup. I'm using Secure SRT321 thermostats, any further suggestions?

October 04, 2015, 01:32:18 AM
Reply #10

michmill

• Information
Can you provide more information on what's not working?  Also, can you attach a screenshot of the HG log communicating with your thermostat?

Cheers,
Mike

October 07, 2015, 02:42:40 PM
Reply #11

bradvoy

• Information
I tried your updated components with my CT-101 thermostats, and they're mostly working!  It's great to be able to control my thermostats again with HomeGenie.  The only problem I'm seeing is that the thermostat widget is sometimes displaying the setpoints incorrectly.  It always shows the correct temperature.  But the setpoints are sometimes showing "169.0" or "172.0".  Other times they are displayed correctly.

October 13, 2015, 04:26:37 AM
Reply #12

michmill

• Information
I've noticed the setpoints will display incorrectly as soon as another process sends a new setpoint to the thermostat.  This corrects itself after the next poll.  What's happening is HomeGenie is sending the new setpoint to the termostat in Fahrenheit, but the thermostat widget is also getting the notification.  Since my updated widget is expecting the setpoint to come back in Celsius, it converts the setpoint, which is already in Fahrenheit, to Fahrenheit again.

The formula to convert C to F is ( t * 1.8 ) + 32.  If you have the time when you see the incorrect setpoint again, try taking the bad reading through this formula ( t - 32 ) / 1.8 and let me know if the result is what the setpoint should be.

Cheers,
Mike

October 14, 2015, 02:59:09 PM
Reply #13

Maximo

• Information
Hi Mike,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, been a little busy at work so haven't had time to play with interesting stuff.

I'll take a look later on and update you. Appreciate your help and efforts.

Cheers,

Garry

October 16, 2015, 03:30:31 AM
Reply #14

michmill

• Information
No worries.

I'm working on an update that should minimize the incorrect setpoint display.  Basically, if the result after converting to Fahrenheit is greater than 120 degrees, it's probably shouldn't have been converted.  I'm hoping to have an update in a few days for you.

Cheers,
Mike