more G-Labs products

Author Topic: My Home Setup.  (Read 4173 times)

February 07, 2015, 11:51:17 PM
Read 4173 times

jcid

• Information
My Home setup (pics included)

Current Setup:
1. Banana Pi Running Debian and HG.
1. Honeywell Power panel with backup battery tuned to 5V.
1. Z-Wave Z-Stick latest FW.
1. AL Door/Window sensor
1. AL Siren with internal battery
1. Outlet Light Switch
1. LED Dimmable Bulb
1. RGBW Colored LED Dimmable bulb.
1. Remote access to HG from my iPhone from anywhere in the world.
1. Email alerting with custom ring tone on alarm.
2. TrendNet IP Cameras

I basically started out by purchasing one of everything to see how I like each product. My plan is to add door/window sensors to every door/window. Adding Z-wave locks to all doors. Will have internal motion and garage motion sensing. Z-wave garage door opener. Proximity support to unlock certain doors and other actions. Plus other ideas as well. This is a starting point and trying to work out getting RGBW and AL Multisensor working right but no luck on that...

;)

February 08, 2015, 06:12:11 PM
Reply #1

jcid

• Information
Today project: Add 250GB SD and make it primary and boot-able.
Success.

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs          235G  1.5G  222G   1% /
/dev/root       235G  1.5G  222G   1% /
devtmpfs        486M     0  486M   0% /dev
tmpfs            98M  212K   97M   1% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           195M  4.0K  195M   1% /run/shm

February 08, 2015, 10:33:20 PM
Reply #2

jcid

• Information
Aeon labs multi-sensor seems to be working nice. All the different data points get pushed to the HG icon including motion sensing 0/1. Awesome.

February 08, 2015, 10:38:32 PM
Reply #3

jcid

• Information
Little rudimentary of an install but itll all be cleaned up once all my parts get in.. ;)

April 08, 2015, 05:03:02 PM
Reply #4

mkw87

• Information
Do you still like the Aeon stick?  It seems to be the best option out there and is likely the route I'll go for adding Z-wave devices to my network. 

Any comments on how well HomeGenie runs on Pi hardware?

April 08, 2015, 09:03:12 PM
Reply #5

Ossi_Jr

• Information
I am currently running a Pi with a Razberry GPIO module. Although  I only have one Fibaro Smart Plug connected (I just started and wanted to gain experiences with the software first) I am now pretty satisfied. It took me a while to get the basics straight of Homegenie. But with my first program (created with the Wizard Scripting) and having the smart plug behaving the way I want I will now start getting more Z-Wave devices into the network.

Overall the I have to admit that the communication range of the Razberry seems to be limited (two walls and a wooden sideboard seem to be too much to handle). But that is the reason I decided to go with Z-Wave - to be able to create a mesh network. I am crossing the fingers that the communication range between two Fibaro Smart Plugs are a little better.

Right now I would recommend that Raspberry + Razberry for everyone who is willing to invest time and brain to set up a fully customizable smart automation for a cheap price. For those who nee to have an easy-to-use solution, the Pi definitely is not your choice.

Just my 2 cents

Btw.: the documentation of HomeGenie for sure needs to be improved. I am missing documentation about programming stuff. I hope this will be better over time.

April 09, 2015, 01:32:03 AM
Reply #6

mkw87

• Information
Thanks for the feedback.  Agreed on the documentation front.  I got my IP cameras working last night easily and figured that interfacing with the EVL-3 board would be a cinch but it's not.  It's looking like I'll need to write a lot of it by hand, which reduces the benefit of using HG over OpenHab, where a lot if not all the code I need is probably already written.