more G-Labs products

Author Topic: mail notification not received  (Read 6695 times)

January 11, 2017, 02:49:25 AM
Reply #30

petediscrete

• Information
I did indeed Nolio. One of the first things I tried and no luck either.

I have a number of other web based apps sending email notifications with no problems. SSMTP is set up fine and sending mails from the terminal to my Gmail email address too.

The problem I'm starting to experience is that previous solutions with links are no longer working for my current setup. Wheezy is on it's way out and of course Mono 4x is a complete no no for HG.

What completely throws me is the fact that I made no changes to HG nor did I update the RPI. With email notifications not working for me it has all but killed off HG for me. Such a shame as I spent so much time configuring it over the last couple of years.

January 11, 2017, 05:33:39 PM
Reply #31

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
It's been a while, but as I recall, installing monodevelop caused problems due to the version I selected.  I don't recall what the resolution was at this point, but that's why I made that guide (I needed it for myself as much as I wanted to help the community).  It's possible things have changed and the guide doesn't work with current versions though.

January 11, 2017, 08:04:15 PM
Reply #32

petediscrete

• Information
That's exactly my problem Bkenobi. Version numbers are now becoming a big issue.

If Gene is busy working on documentation he might be advised that some of his documentation may well be out of date by the time he completes it. What we really need to get to is a working version of HG running under Raspbian Jessie and the latest stable of Mono as far as the Raspberry Pi is concerned.

The single board computer headless server is the way forward as far as I can see. Not much point running energy consumption measuring apps on a full blown desktop computer.

January 11, 2017, 11:12:37 PM
Reply #33

raptorjr

• Information
I know very little of Mono, but it feels that if something works on Windows it should work on Linux with Mono also. Otherwise it is Microsoft that has a problem.

But I do agree that it would be nice if Gene could invest some time in the project again. I'm very impressed with what he have done with HG, and have no doubt that if he is working on the documentation that it will be equally good. But what does that matter if there is no one left using HG when he is done?

It would be nice if he could find the time and be a little more active on the forum. And why not publish the documentation even if it is not finished? I would really like to learn more about HG and be able to help with new features and fixing bugs. But I have a really hard time to learn this. Part of the problem is that I have never developed for the web. More documentation would be great.

January 11, 2017, 11:51:22 PM
Reply #34

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
FWIW, Gene has published 2 versions of documentation already.  The first version was really rough but the second was much better.  The documentation is better today than it was for rev 2 so if you need help with something, what he's written should be there.

If you haven't checked out the current documentation, it's pretty good for the most part.  Go to the main page and select "developer docs"

http://genielabs.github.io/HomeGenie/about.html

Documentation for writing code is located in the "Helper Class Reference" and API/web is located in the "API" section (right side of screen).  You can either drill down to the help topic needed or search for something.  Many items include examples but all include the required syntax.