more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Irrigation control, weather announce, humidity control, etc.  (Read 3154 times)

January 05, 2015, 04:12:23 PM
Read 3154 times

amji71

• Information
I discovered HomeGenie in January 2014. I had a Z-Wave Multi Sensor, a Z-Wave Switch and a Raspberry Pi B.  I gave up on Raspberry Pi initially because of the power and SD Card issues.  Now with those improved on Raspberry Pi B Plus, I may give it a try again. Now I have HomeGenie running on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Lubuntu machines. All are interconnected. 

I have used HomeGenie as a weather alert system that announces the outside weather every hour between 6am and 11pm.

During the summer months I used it to control the irrigation of my plants based on the amount of rain each day!

I have it controlling the humidity in my bedroom via a WeMo switch using ifttt and PushingBox. 

And of course it sends me an alert on my Windows phone if presence is detected.

The next project will be thermostat control based on presence. 

I have loved using it.  I am not a programmer, but interestingly I can find enough examples on the forums here and on the site to put together and get what I need to get done! 

So, even if you are like me and have no experience of c# programming, you can still make it do a lot of wonderful things for you! 

And yes, Thank you Gene!!!

UPDATE:
Now I have three machines (Raspberry Pi + Windows 10 + Lubuntu) running HomeGenie. Irrigation works flawlessly. Two thermostat zones are now presence based with a morning pre-heat and you can switch off the automated control of the thermostats with a single swipe and set your own temperature manually!  Security system monitors presence by pinging our cell phones; when everyone is away, it automatically arms the security system.  If anyone intrudes, a photo is taken and stored online, and an immediate phone call is made to alert of the intrusion! Again, works flawlessly!  The sunset/sunrise feature enables certain functions as well. For instance, if the garage door is left open after sunset, the system alerts by voice and email. While anytime that no one is home and garage door opens or closes, the system alerts by email. My most favorite function is that after sunset lights for my TV Room are dimmed if TV is turned on, and switched off automatically (after a delay) when TV is switched off!     
But yes, getting to this point (after almost 2 years) requires some knowledge of c#! All of which can be acquired by reading through this forum and others about c#. 
THANK YOU GENE!!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 05:24:17 PM by amji71 »

October 06, 2015, 04:24:38 PM
Reply #1

jon

• Information
Hi, amji71

I appreciate if you might tell,  how you get homegenie to announces the weather.

Thanks,
Jon

October 19, 2015, 05:09:49 PM
Reply #2

amji71

• Information
Attached is the program...  you can change the address for your indoor sensor device, and you need weather underground for the weather update.  If you want it to play music at the end of the report, you can enable that aspect by un-commenting that line.  enjoy!