more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Initial Setup  (Read 1937 times)

April 07, 2016, 12:28:25 AM
Read 1937 times

Thor

• Information
I am kind of lost and not sure what is working and what is not.    I am using a Raspberry Pi with a Z-stick Gen5.    I am just beginning to set up a system and the only Z-wave device is a Linear GD00Z-4 Garage Door Opener Command Transceiver.    I paired the Z-stick and the device and plugged the stick into the Pi.    HG seems to recognize the stick.   I experimented in the setup and it seems to be on one of the serial ports.  The Z-stick lights are flashing as they are supposed to and when I do a discover within setup it seems to complete correctly.    The device (opener) doesn't show up anywhere and there are no messages telling me that I need to do anything.   What should I look for to verify that the stick is operating and interfaced to HG correctly and then what do I need to do to find the opener device?

April 07, 2016, 04:32:00 PM
Reply #1

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Have you tried adding the module to your dashboard?  If it's set up correctly you should be able to see it and add it to one of your groups so you can control it.

April 07, 2016, 05:19:16 PM
Reply #2

Thor

• Information
I guess that indicates how lost I am.   I haven't seen anything that tells me how to add modules to the dashboard.   I have created a new group 'Garage Door' but that group doesn't appear on the dashboard.    I have looked around the list of widgets and the garage door opener device/module doesn't appear.   I have tried to add a module to the garage door group but I am not given the garage door module as a choice.

As a general question, if I have any arbitrary generic Z-wave device and I pair my controller (Z-stick in my case) with the device, does it then automatically appear somewhere in HG as a device to be used?   

At this point, I don't know whether I have a malfunction or just don't understand how HG works.   

Is it also possible that my Zstick is not properly configured/connected?   How does one verify that?

Thanks

April 07, 2016, 07:23:35 PM
Reply #3

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I can't help with zwave but there is a beginners guide that covers the basics.  It's aimed at X10, but there is a bit on zwave mentioned.  I'd recommend searching the forum for some posts on setting up zwave as I've seen a number using your specific hardware.

http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=1420.msg9234#msg9234

April 08, 2016, 03:08:35 AM
Reply #4

Thor

• Information
Thanks but the guide you reference is not specific to my setup.     I am focused now on determining whether my Zstick is properly interfaced to HG.   I don't know if it will help but I am including screen captures of my attempts at configuration.

April 08, 2016, 01:09:04 PM
Reply #5

kevin1

• Information
Looks like you are on track.  You have two devices recognized by the z-stick and HG.  Your manufacturer specific device code is: 014F:4744:3530.  Looks like you may have gotten the same device in there twice, I've had that happen early on with zwave too. 

Now you need to add the device widget to your dashboard or another group (groups are like pages, you could have a group for each room if you have a lot of devices, or just use dashboard group if you have a few).

Go to config-groups-dashboard, click on the bottom right actions menu, add module.  On the popup, pull down and scroll down to the  HomeAutomation.ZWave section and you should see your two devices.  Select the second one, add it.  On the next pop up, name it.  Now go back to Home-Dashboard and you should see your device.

A garage door opener is not a standard Zwave device from HomeGenie perspective.  I don't know how HG will choose to display it.  Probably a combination of a switch and door sensor?  Doing some searching, looks like this is not supported well in HomeGenie...

http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=1496.msg9504#msg9504

http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=1204.msg7533#msg7533

April 08, 2016, 05:39:02 PM
Reply #6

Thor

• Information
Thank you, this helps a lot.  I am able to get the device to show up on my dashboard but it doesn't seem to be responsive.    I tried the setup for the device and just got timeouts (see screen capture).    I also looked at the links you provided but it seems that those people are having the same issues.      Is there anything else I should be doing to set up the device?

April 08, 2016, 06:08:06 PM
Reply #7

kevin1

• Information
Try waking the device up with however the documents recommend (tiny button, open close door, etc).  Then quickly try Get in HG.  Some ZWave devices (typically battery powered sensors) are usually sleeping and only wake briefly to transmit data.  If it is a line powered device, they usually stay awake and should respond more reliably.

Since you had two devices of same type, try adding the other to dashboard and see if it is working.

Unfortunately I don't think you are going to get what you are after :-(  A new widget (at minimum) needs to be created for this type pf device.  I don't have any door locks or garage door sensors so I don't know for sure if anyone else here has gotten them to work.

Do you have any other ZWave devices to test with?  I recommend starting with an always powered switch/dimmer of some sort; this will confirm that ZWave is working.

April 09, 2016, 05:11:55 PM
Reply #8

Thor

• Information
I doubt that it is an issue with it going to sleep since it is a line powered device.    I don't have two devices, it seems that the same device got entered twice, maybe because I ran the discovery more than once.   I will try deleting both instances and starting over.   

This may be a lost cause.   I am new to Z-wave (I am sure that this is apparent) but when I look at the list of widgets in HG it seems limited to a bunch of HG generic devices.    If I try another device ( I don't have any right now but I may buy one to test with ) will it get entered as a manufacturer specific or do I need to create a new widget for each device?   

I could possibly create a new widget, I have done some programming in C and Python.   Is that feasible?   It seems that you would need a template ( HG generic door lock? ) and the device parameters.   Are the device parameters in the Pepper data base sufficient to enable all the features of the device?   Is there any documentation for how to create widgets?   

April 11, 2016, 05:10:30 PM
Reply #9

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
You can definitely create any widget you want that isn't currently available.  I'd recommend reviewing the code for some existing widgets as a guide.  IIRC, they are a combination of HTML and JS.  The HG interface has a GUI that allows you to edit these codes and see the results real time, so it should be pretty easy to create your own or modify an existing widget.  I looked at it in the past, but I don't know enough HTML or JS to get into it myself.  I could probably make a minor tweak, but these languages are not my forte so I've never been able to produce anything.