more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Android Push Notification service  (Read 4850 times)

December 14, 2014, 06:53:10 AM
Read 4850 times

jshan

• Information
Android Push Notification for HomeGenie
=======================================
When a significant event occurs in HomeGenie, I wanted to be alerted as quickly as possible and with a configurable repeating alarm on my Android device(s) so that I had a better chance of not missing the alert.

Includes 3 parts:
  1. Android_Push_Notification_Service - HomeGenie C# app
  2. Android AlarmMe.apk - Android 4.0 (and above) app
  3. Android Push Notification Manual

The source code for AlarmMe.apk is not public domain at this time.

I've attached the C# app (1) and the manual (2).  The AlarmMe.apk file is 1.6M (too large to be attached so I stuck it at: http://www.filedropper.com/alarmme.  If someone wants to store it at a more permanent site, that would be great.  See this post for a mirror location - thanks mvdarend (http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=541.msg4021#msg4021)

Because there are 2 inter-related parts to this service, I recommend reading and understanding the entire manual before installing.

I've tested this and it works reliably for me on an HTC Android 4.0.3 phone and a Samsung Android 4.1.2 tablet.

No warranty expressed or implied - use at your own risk.  Support not guaranteed but feel free to ask.  Comments & improvement suggestions welcome.

Hope it's useful to someone.

Regards,
JohnS
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:42:28 PM by jshan »

December 14, 2014, 11:25:52 AM
Reply #1

dani

• Information
  • Global Moderator
When we click on your link, we have to pay for register, no download start.
What is the way to use File Droper ?

Regards
Dani

December 14, 2014, 03:52:02 PM
Reply #2

jshan

• Information
I clicked on the link in my OP and for whatever reason, it goes to filedropper, but leaves off the "/alarmme".  If I copy and paste the link into my browser so that it includes the /alarmme, then it works.  At around the middle of the page is a grey download button - click on that at it should download the file, no registration or payment required.

December 14, 2014, 03:56:33 PM
Reply #3

mvdarend

• Information
The correct link is http://www.filedropper.com/alarmme (without the dot at the end.)

December 14, 2014, 07:45:55 PM
Reply #4

jshan

• Information
OP link fixed - thanks mvdarend.

January 29, 2015, 03:09:41 PM
Reply #5

KaZe

• Information
Hi!

the download link does not work for me. (AlarmMe.apk) :( Someone could send me or upload it somewhere?

Thanks!

January 29, 2015, 03:56:27 PM
Reply #6

jshan

• Information
I have re-uploaded the file to filedropper.  The link http://www.filedropper.com/alarmme should work now. 

It would be great if anyone has a better place to store this file so that it stays around as is accessible to everyone.

Regards,
JohnS

January 29, 2015, 06:06:48 PM
Reply #7

mvdarend

• Information

January 30, 2015, 04:25:20 PM
Reply #8

jshan

• Information

May 22, 2015, 10:08:11 PM
Reply #9

Michel

• Information
Thanks JohnS, very usefull application. I like receiving notifications no matter where I am.

Is it possible to send the notifications only when Security Alarm System is armed ?

May 23, 2015, 05:21:39 AM
Reply #10

jshan

• Information
HG can send notifications when the Security System is triggered - see input field #3 as indicated in the user manual under "Input Fields".  You would want to untick the "Send Android Notification" feature for the security device (e.g. motion sensor) and set field #3 to True.  This way you would only get a notification if the security device is tripped and the security system is armed.

August 18, 2015, 07:27:12 PM
Reply #11

Fmstrat

• Information
Good idea, but closed source and requires side loading instead of going through a cheap/near free store like Play/Amazon where they do a security review?

October 22, 2015, 03:08:48 PM
Reply #12

Michel

• Information
Does this service still works, because I am not receiving notifications for some time.

October 22, 2015, 04:12:50 PM
Reply #13

jshan

• Information
Yes, Android Push Notifications is still working for me - I just tried it on r493.  I had some issues after updating (see http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=1004.0) but was able to get it fixed as detailed in the referenced post.  Good luck.

October 22, 2015, 04:26:50 PM
Reply #14

kevin1

• Information
Could we move this functionality into the official HomeGenie android app?