more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Problem creating a Z-wave setup  (Read 2238 times)

September 10, 2015, 03:22:25 PM
Read 2238 times

purps

• Information
Firstly, I am new to this software, and my word it looks fantastic. I have only used LinuxMCE before so please bear with me while I learn HG!

Having some trouble getting my Z-wave network set up.

My z-wave hardware is the ViaSen SELUXIT USB controller (no buttons) + Aeon Labs Minimote (using as inclusion remote) + various Duwi light switchs + other Z-wave toys.

Firstly I used the "http://192.168.xx.yy/api/MIGService.Interfaces/HomeAutomation.ZWave/Options.Set/Port/%2Fdev%2FttyACM0/" trick, so the controller works as far as I can tell, so that's good.

I also read with interest this thread http://sourceforge.net/p/homegenie/discussion/general/thread/dc26e893/

So when I first connected everything up I very quickly managed to switch lights on and off - great I thought, it works, so then proceeded to wipe/reset everything best I could for a clean install, but since then I have not been able to get any devices working again. I am confused as to what "Discovery" is for vs "Add Node" - which do I use for what?

Also as I was reading that thread from late 2012 I couldn't help but notice that the person here was asking a similar question, but it appears the problem was fixed. Also the steps mentioned here didn't seem relevant to me - has something changed since then?

I guess my main question, is what is the procedure for installing a Z-wave network when your controller had no button, but you do have an inclusion remote.

Cheers,
Matt.

September 10, 2015, 10:49:13 PM
Reply #1

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
So when I first connected everything up I very quickly managed to switch lights on and off - great I thought, it works, so then proceeded to wipe/reset everything best I could for a clean install, but since then I have not been able to get any devices working again.
RESET !!  :-\ where did you do the reset in HomeGenie web interface ?
I am confused as to what "Discovery" is for vs "Add Node" - which do I use for what?
Discovery : To scan the device register on the zwave controller
Add Node: To add a new zwave device on the zwave controller

Did you try to use "add node" and put the node in inclusion mode ?

September 11, 2015, 08:24:47 PM
Reply #2

purps

• Information
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Reset - I clicked "Hard Reset" in web admin, and did a "factory reset" on my Aeon Labs Minimote by holding down the appropriate buttons. I also --purge removed HG, reset, and reinstalled.

OK, so what does "Discovery" do exactly? How is it used in the setup process, if at all?

I've tried various combinations to get my devices added to the network, but all have failed. First things first - what is the procedure for getting an inclusion remote onto the network? I assume that is the first thing to do? I can add node followed by using the "Learn" function on the remote when it's next to the controller, that adds the remote as node 2, but then I cannot use it for inclusion (which the manual confirms - remote will not function as secondary controller AND an inclusion remote).

Cheers,
Matt.

September 12, 2015, 07:34:44 AM
Reply #3

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
The better way is to disassociate the device and the controller before reset. But now I think you need to try to reset your z-wave device too.
Bye

September 21, 2015, 05:32:34 PM
Reply #4

purps

• Information
OK I have attempted to remove all the devices before resetting a) the remote (via factory reset on device itself) and b) the USB controller (via homegenie web interface).

Please could somebody describe the correct setup procedure from fresh? How do I tell HG to use the remote as an inclusion device, and how do I then include the various devices using said remote? When is it appropriate to use "Discovery", and when am I using "Add node"?

Sorry for the spoon-feeding request, but struggling to make it work and would like to know what the procedure is supposed to be.

Cheers,
Matt.

September 21, 2015, 08:30:55 PM
Reply #5

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
My experience (with a button controller), include all devices on the controller by pressing button on controller and a device, and repeat this for each device.
After, i only plug the usb controller on the raspberry, and boot (a discovery is made on the boot process).

So in your case, you probably just need to use the "add module" button on HG web interface ... And perhaps, a discovery at the end.

Perhaps, someone in your exact case can confirm.

October 29, 2015, 03:01:13 PM
Reply #6

purps

• Information
Thank you so much for your advice - I just needed to "add node" and then include the device. Simple. I was just over-complicating it as usual. I then clicked discover at the end for good measure. So my remote was not needed for the process; however I will still include it in the network and use as it purely as a remote.

Thank you once again, very pleased to have this working!

Cheers,
Matt.

October 29, 2015, 03:58:34 PM
Reply #7

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
Ok good news :-)
Have fun