more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Service Restart option never actually restarts  (Read 2244 times)

October 13, 2014, 12:59:37 PM
Read 2244 times

RichieC

• Information
Im running Homegenie on a raspberry Pi and always seem to have issue when installing software updates.

The update works ok and installs the updated version of HomeGenie but at the end of the update when it attempts to restart the system, it always fails - It just sits there forever with the "Restarting" message on the screen and i have to power off the Pi to get it to startup with the new version.

The same thing happens when trying to use the Service Restart option - It just sits there forever with the "Restarting" message

Do you have any idea why this happens? Could it be a permissions issue of some sort?

Rich

October 13, 2014, 03:58:49 PM
Reply #1

dani

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I never got this issue. HG is running with Aeon labs Zwave stick and GPIO which controls some relays

Cheers
Dani

October 13, 2014, 04:41:35 PM
Reply #2

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I'm just guessing, but since this doesn't happen to me either, is it possible this is related to your specific automation hardware?  I'm running a CM15A X10 controller.  If I unplug it, I get a bunch of error/warning messages in the mono console complaining that the interface is not detected.  Perhaps HG has something similar that you could see in the debug console to determine what's causing the hangup?

October 13, 2014, 10:50:44 PM
Reply #3

RichieC

• Information
It is possible..  This is why i posted this, im curious if others are getting this issue..

Hardware wise, Im running the standard HomeGenie image on a raspberry Pi ModelB.
With a Z-Stick2 Z-Wave interface connected to the first USB port and a CM15A X10 controller connected to the other USB port. I also have a 4x Relay board connected to the GPIO outputs.

I have also changed the port number that the web interface is running on, although im pretty sure i had this issue before i changed this..

I dont get any error messages on the debug console that im aware of.

I'm just guessing, but since this doesn't happen to me either, is it possible this is related to your specific automation hardware?  I'm running a CM15A X10 controller.  If I unplug it, I get a bunch of error/warning messages in the mono console complaining that the interface is not detected.  Perhaps HG has something similar that you could see in the debug console to determine what's causing the hangup?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:52:45 PM by RichieC »

October 13, 2014, 11:58:28 PM
Reply #4

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Perhaps you could try disabling the zwave interface to see if you see this with only x10.  Then, if that works, swap the setup so you disable x10 and check zwave.  Make sure you backup your setup prior to disabling a controller.  If you don't, the settings for all related modules will be lost and have to be restored manually.  I'm curious if this is related to a specific controller or the interaction between them within HG.

October 15, 2014, 11:39:21 AM
Reply #5

RichieC

• Information
I have now tried disabling both the Z-Wave adapter and the X10 adapter (one at at time and both together) and the restart option still dosn't work for me.

As i was having lots of issue with this new versions (r416) i decided to reset everything and start again from scratch.. so i did a factory reset to set everything back to defaults, with all usb adapters disabled - the reset option still doesn't work! Im not sure if it's related but the Backup option dosn't work either!

The backup option used to work (in maybe r403) so im not sure why it doesn't anymore - it now just hangs the system.

Is there anyway that i can download a fresh raspberry Pi SD card image with R411 installed and i would like to go back to this version if possible.

Rich

Perhaps you could try disabling the zwave interface to see if you see this with only x10.  Then, if that works, swap the setup so you disable x10 and check zwave.  Make sure you backup your setup prior to disabling a controller.  If you don't, the settings for all related modules will be lost and have to be restored manually.  I'm curious if this is related to a specific controller or the interaction between them within HG.

October 15, 2014, 05:59:34 PM
Reply #6

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
You can download anything on the SourceForge page.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/homegenie/files/

It looks like there is a decent archive in the "previous" sub-directory, but the most recent image is r394.  You can install that one and then manually install the debian image of r409 or r412 in the testing/previous directory.  I don't see an image of any kind for r411, so that must be an update only version for whatever reason.  I think (not verified) you can manually download the update to r411 (r409 to r411) and then extract the files to your HG installation path.  I tried this in the past and it did seem to successfully update HG to the update version.  I suggest manually updating because I think once you click "update", it will go to the current version which you are having issues with.