more G-Labs products

Author Topic: How can I turn a computer on/off that is not in the LAN  (Read 407 times)

March 26, 2017, 08:38:57 PM
Read 407 times

pmowry911

• Information
Hello,

Specifically I have a windows 7 computer that is in an arcade cabinet that only connects to the network via WiFi.  I would like to be able to turn it on and off remotely but cant use wake on lan.  Right now it is plugged into a power strip that turns the plugs to the monitor and speakers on only when the computer is on.

My 1st thought was to get a z-wave  low voltage relay module that would effectively press/hold the PC power button.  This would effectively remove talking to the computer completely, except for maybe a script to ping the computer to be sure it was on/off.  But I'm having trouble locating a low voltage relay that would be a programmable momentary contact.

My other thought was a standard z-wave appliance wall-plug control to turn the power on, but to use a script to tell the windows computer to shutdown followed by turning the z-wave module off after a delay.  Only concern is if the z-wave module would draw enough power to make the power strip turn the controlled plugs for the monitor and speakers on.

Which approach sounds the most reliable, and any suggestions on the implementation?

Thanks,

-Patrick

March 27, 2017, 09:31:16 AM
Reply #1

[email protected]

• Information

March 27, 2017, 09:33:08 AM
Reply #2

[email protected]

• Information
Other option is something like an ESP8266 power that from the standby output from the PC PSU, take a 5v feed via a resistor into a GPIO to measure if it is on, and then use a GPIO and transistor to control the power and reset buttons (reset just because you can!)