more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Amazon Echo / Alexa Bridge Interface  (Read 5776 times)

January 25, 2017, 10:37:23 PM
Reply #30

Jens

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Your log shows
>oracle-java8-jdk is already the newest version.

Could it be that you are not running the latest OS (Jessie)?

Try cat /etc/os-release

which should give you something like

PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"

then starting ha_bridge is the problem by systemctl, which is not valid for wheezy if I am not mistaken.

Checking Java on my pi with
java -version

i am getting
java version "1.8.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)

Maybe you can start the process with

nohup java -jar -Dconfig.file=/home/pi/habridge/data/habridge.config /home/pi/habridge/ha-bridge-3.5.1.jar

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:50:11 PM by Jens »

January 25, 2017, 10:51:21 PM
Reply #31

petediscrete

• Information
I'm still using Raspbian Wheezy and it's as updated as possible. It's running Mono 4.2. I've tried Homegenie on Raspbian Jessie and have had a number of issues that forced me back to Wheezy.

I did ask on a previous post if anyone was using Homegenie rc525 on Raspbian Jessie successfully bit didn't receive any responses. Are you running on Jessie successfully Jens.

January 26, 2017, 06:59:25 AM
Reply #32

Jens

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Maybe I was not precise enough, I am running ha_bridge on a second box, please see my earlier posts. That box runs Jessie, ha_bridge and other services. Homegenie runs on a different box under wheezy and mono 4.2.3.

January 26, 2017, 12:44:05 PM
Reply #33

petediscrete

• Information
Understood Jens. You have two different Pi's running two different versions of Raspbian. Not ideal for my situation but I can certainly give this option a try.

I thought David's app would have been the solution for me but I just can't get it working. Such a shame as it looked like the ideal solution for me.

January 26, 2017, 03:53:49 PM
Reply #34

[email protected]

• Information
don't write my app off :) it works really well for me, just a shame it had limited testing..

I have a week of work next week to look after a new puppy - so the things I wanted to get done probably wont - so I can try and get some time in front of the pc to debug this and get you all something that works correctly in more env's than just mine..

It would help if someone was using a pi to test on, or you can tell me what scenarios you are using..

such as mono version if applicable.
Hardware (PI / pc etc)
HG Version
Home subnet IE 192.168.0.0/24 or hg IP address and subnet mask will do.. IE 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

and I will get it working for you as mine works really well and reliably - shame I only have two lamps to control currently :D

January 26, 2017, 05:23:28 PM
Reply #35

petediscrete

• Information
Hi David

Thanks for the response.

My setup is as follows

Raspberry Pi3 with Pi Camera module
Raspbian Wheezy running Homegenie rc525 with Mono 4.2
X10 Light and Switch modules
Amazon Echo Dot (latest model)

My HG server is running on 192.168.0.10 and I can control it from the server or remotely from another PC in my home network via Putty

Is there anything else you would need to know to get mine up and running. What is the spec on the system you are running.Maybe you have additional software installed on your system that I do not have that is preventing my app from working

January 26, 2017, 07:58:56 PM
Reply #36

Jens

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi David,

here is mine

>such as mono version if applicable.
>Hardware (PI / pc etc)
PI2
>HG Version
1.1/512
>Home subnet IE 192.168.0.0/24 or hg IP address and subnet mask will do.. IE 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
192.168.2.0/24

Thanks
Jens

January 29, 2017, 05:00:59 PM
Reply #37

kevinvinv

• Information

I am also wondering about those java steps.  The instructions on BWS Systems homepage dont include those steps...   but-  following their directions,  I cant get it to work either...so what do I know   :)

January 29, 2017, 09:46:19 PM
Reply #38

petediscrete

• Information
I'm sure David's app works on his system but I think we need a little more background info to get it working on ours.

In the meantime, here's a link for Windows users that I did eventually manage to get working for Alexa and x10. The author has done a great job with it too. Maybe it will be of interest to you David.

http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?topic=1020.0

January 31, 2017, 04:38:47 AM
Reply #39

kevinvinv

• Information
Well I got HA_BRIDGE up and running on my pi... the same one that is running HG.

I cant believe it... it actually works.   "Alexa, turn all lights on"   

Pretty cool I must say.

I do have a number of questions about configuring ha_bridge --   is anyone using the latest version?  Version 4?

January 31, 2017, 02:28:11 PM
Reply #40

petediscrete

• Information
Kevinv could you elaborate a little on how you actually got the app working. Maybe a step by step guide and the spec on hardware and software you are using.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you achieved this.

I followed David's instructions as best I could but couldn't manage to get Alexa to do her job.

January 31, 2017, 03:14:53 PM
Reply #41

kevinvinv

• Information
It was a lot of stumbling around for sure....

I can write more later but I basically followed the install directions on the ha_bridge site.   I am using an older raspberry pi with the latest OS on it...

https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/blob/master/README.md

I followed the steps in the above URL starting from this label:
System Control Setup on a pi (preferred)

Once it was installed and running I could connect by pointing my browser to the pi url

The main problem I had was that the HA_BRIDGE was not running after I had installed it.

Here is where I got a few clues on how to check and see if ha bridge was running or not...
http://xbmcnut.blogspot.com/2016/10/installing-ha-bridge-on-your-raspberry.html

Sorry I dont have the exact steps... it was a lot of poking and hoping as usual!

January 31, 2017, 03:15:53 PM
Reply #42

kevinvinv

• Information
Also-  The pi is running ha_Bridge and HG both.

January 31, 2017, 04:14:00 PM
Reply #43

petediscrete

• Information
Ok Kevinv. I thought you got David's app running in HG but you managed to do it outside HG on the same Pi.

Have you changed the port on the HA bridge. HG Is currently using port 80 so I assume HA bridge is configured for a different port.

If you get time could you let us have a little more info on how you achieved this.

It's great that you have both running on the same Pi.

I'm using the HA bridge on a Windows app so I'm getting a little more insight on how the HA bridge works.

January 31, 2017, 04:59:35 PM
Reply #44

mchias13

• Information
I have both HG and HA bridge running on the same pi.  HA bridge uses it's default port 80 and i changed HG to a different port number.  Running on a PI2B.

Think I followed that same 2nd procedure Kevin posted when I set mine up a few months ago.

Forgot should add i'm running on wheezy with 525 in case those matter.