more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Whole home project.  (Read 995 times)

December 11, 2015, 01:40:42 AM
Read 995 times

kb1ojr

• Information
Ok so here is what I would like to accomplish, with as little cost as possible but also keeping somewhat simplicity in mind. I am not a programmer of this nature however I am a linux nut.

I have the following equipment.
Raspberry pi2 (I have a few of these)
Arduino UNO

What I would like to build. In order of priority

- A full featured weather station that reports to Wunderground,
This includes Temperature, humidity, precipitation and wind speed / direction.
(what would be the equipment I would need to do this, what do you use?)

- Also has internal temperature monitoring of 3 or more zones in the house.

- Pool Temperature monitoring

- (this might be a bit much but also PH, Chlorine, and whatever else a pool needs to have monitored)

- Pool motion detection (at the water level of the pool I am trying to figure out how I can add a motion sensor, so if something goes in that is not supposed to be in the pool I get a audible warning somewhere)

-Sensors for all the home windows and doors.

- possibly camera hook ups as well.

This is probably asking a lot being I know very little of how all this works, but this is what I think this thing can do.

I am going to start with temperature monitoring and see how it goes I figure that is the cheapest easiest start to get a feel for this. So far I have a TMP36 sensor for my Arduino, but I am unable to make it work. I also do not think this is going to be my going forward sensor. I am thinking of getting a few DH11 sensors. Any recommendation on starting out with monitoring temp with the gear I currently have or what else should I get to help. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

December 11, 2015, 02:06:23 AM
Reply #1

enterprised

• Information
  • Things are only impossible until they are not
I'm using a combination of DH11 and DH22 conented via Arduino/MQTT and for outside and my pool I use the waterproof sealed version of the  1wire DS18B20 temperature sensor directly connected to GPIO 4 on my RPi's

Using Arduino Nano or Mini with MQTT allows you to create relative cheap wireless sensors/input/output devices (temp/humidity/light/motion/switch/relay etc. - search for MySensors on the web)
4a 75 73 74 20 61 20 70 65 72 73 6f 6e 20 68 61 76 69 6e 67 20 66 75 6e 20 77 69 74 68 20 68 6f 6d 65 20 61 75 74 6f 6d 61 74 69 6f 6e
enterprised == guytpetj

December 11, 2015, 02:15:38 AM
Reply #2

kb1ojr

• Information
Thanks for the info, so for this you just have a PI with an arduino running with a few sensors attached? Seems simple enough. I will have to research the MQTT not sure what that is. Think I might grab those 2 sensors they are a good start I think.

Also I see the Eden board v2 is a good addon, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere?