more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Going totally insane with install..  (Read 1405 times)

August 07, 2016, 02:10:24 PM
Read 1405 times

Johnny H

• Information
Hi,

not sure why I'm having so much trouble... using raspberry pi with the jesse release. Installed HG last night, got it configured, working fine.

tried to connect this am "connection refused", tried to restart:
[....] Restarting homegenie (via systemctl): homegenie.serviceJob for homegenie.service failed. See 'systemctl status homegenie.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.

homegenie.service - LSB: Run HomeGenie
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/homegenie)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2016-08-07 11:55:21 UTC; 12s ago
  Process: 12594 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/homegenie stop (code=exited, status=127)
  Process: 12659 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/homegenie start (code=exited, status=127)

I have no clue... did nothing but went to sleep and woke up. no power failure or the like.

this is about the 10th time this is happening , i reinstall the image and reinstall HG every time. I had HG working on this hardware before, but that was with the previous incarnations of HG and the image that was pre-supplied.

Any insight appreciated.
Johnny

August 08, 2016, 11:23:58 PM
Reply #1

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
Sometimes raspberry pi have a lot of issues when SD card has trouble ... Not sure that your problem.
Did you try another SD Card ?

With your problem description, it's not easy to help ...
Are you sure on the HomeGenie port ? 80, 8080, 8081, ... ?
You can check by using "netstat -l" and see the "LISTEN" status, it can help you to find the good one ...

Can you enable and/or take a look at HG log ?

Bye

August 10, 2016, 03:10:48 AM
Reply #2

Johnny H

• Information
Hi,

I think your right..... I reinstalled the image, setup hg, was running Good for 3 days.. So today I said let me make an image for a backup. I shutdown, all looked good, made a backup, put the card back in the Pi , and lone and behold... Bad sectors all of a sudden appeared, and the same error with HG occurred , and it failed to start again!!!

Hg logs show debug messages and info items, then at the end there is a lot of unreadable jibberish.

I'm gonna try another sd card, if it stil happens, wil use a Mac mini or similar

Thanks,
Johnny

August 10, 2016, 10:29:20 PM
Reply #3

[email protected]

• Information
Decent SD card and a pi are working fine here and more practical than a mac

August 16, 2016, 04:40:13 AM
Reply #4

kevinvinv

• Information
I use a net book.. I  like it b/c it has a keyboard and monitor all built in... but insanity seems to go with the territory when it comes to DIY home automation!

August 16, 2016, 05:17:37 PM
Reply #5

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Everyone has their own approach which is part of the fun I suppose.  I personally like having a headless server running on a very light weight platform that doesn't ever get touched.  If I need to do something, using a tablet or phone with the Android app works well.  If I need to modify anything, I use a web browser from a laptop.  If I needed to modify anything on the system, I can log in remotely via SSH since I'm running an RPi.

August 17, 2016, 12:01:24 AM
Reply #6

Johnny H

• Information
swapped out the SD card.. all good no !

thanks for you help.
Johnny

August 26, 2016, 01:31:23 PM
Reply #7

petediscrete

• Information
As an aside Johhny H, i suggest you take an image of your working SD card on another SD card and if you experience any further difficulties you have an instant replacement rather than having to restore backups and all that goes with it.

August 26, 2016, 04:38:04 PM
Reply #8

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
There is a script on this forum that was posted a couple years back which is designed to fully back up the SD card to another drive.  I install a microsd card in a USB adapter, but you could use anything really.  I have had my setup fail for no apparent reason (probably power loss related) and didn't have the backup at the time.  It was a tense couple days setting things up again while my wife realized how much she relied on automation for some things.  I had another failure after using the backup script and it took 5 minutes which included walking to the basement and waiting for the RPi to power back up.  Once the new card was installed, I ran the script again and put the working image on the broken SD for a new backup.

nolio mentioned the script here:
http://www.homegenie.it/forum/index.php?topic=76.msg2745#msg2745

and here's the script:
https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:41:32 PM by bkenobi »