more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Deleting after failed upgrade  (Read 3378 times)

January 10, 2016, 06:51:34 PM
Read 3378 times

Brian

• Information
I installed beta 491 on a Windows 7 "server" for testing.  It looked like it installed correctly.  I was able to access via web and Android.  The install signaled there was an upgrade.  I let it upgrade, but it didn't complete.  Exiting and starting did not work.  I then tried to unistall HomeGenie.  It deleted (most of) the files, but not the services.  I tried deleting the services from the Windows command prompt (sc delete), without success. 

I've been using iHome (purely X10), but this package seems far more promising, especially as I look closer at z-wave.  I'd like to work with it more.  Any suggestions on completing the uninstall or forcing a new install at either 491 or the current level?

January 10, 2016, 10:36:47 PM
Reply #1

Maximo

• Information
Why are you using such an old release? I would suggest downloading the latest release and using that. I've had problems in the past with an upgrade failing, so there could be an issue somewhere.

January 11, 2016, 01:27:51 AM
Reply #2

Brian

• Information
I had downloaded that release a month ago and never got around to installing it.  As far as I see from sourceforge, until a week ago it was the most recent release.  That is beside the point.  I've tried downloading the current release and the install goes no where.  I get the Windows installation authorization prompt, and then nothing happens.  The Windows pointer changes to the "circling" point, like it's (trying to) do something, but it doesn't.  I left it over night to see if it would get passed whatever hangup it has, but it's still not installing.  Trying to kill the processes in Task Manager does nothing.  The old processes are still there, so I think I need to clean up the original installation before I can install the latest version.

I should add, I'm not logged in as Administrator, but the account DOES have admin privileges.

January 11, 2016, 04:38:22 PM
Reply #3

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
The version you are using is based on HG 1.0.  The current releases are 1.1 and there is no update from inside HG.  I believe 491 might have been the last release at 1.0 which is why it didn't offer an update.  Since you are on Win7, I'd recommend updating to the current release of HG 1.1 r512.

If you were running an older version of Windows (e.g., WinXP), you would need to stay on an older version for .NET support.  I have an XP system that I periodically use for testing and mistakenly let it update.  It now does not function so I'll have to figure out what version I can install that supports .NET 4.0 since 4.5 is not available for that OS.

January 11, 2016, 04:44:14 PM
Reply #4

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Tangible is the future!
    • Yet Another Programmer

January 11, 2016, 04:50:27 PM
Reply #5

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there a known newest version of HG that will work with XP?  .NET 4.5 does not work on XP (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/p/dotnet45xp.aspx).  I just installed something really old (397 I believe) but I assume that's way too old.

January 12, 2016, 02:24:56 AM
Reply #6

Brian

• Information
So, I tried using the uninstall that was added to the HG Start Menu item and it just sat there.  I'm sure I tried uninstalling through the Control Panel after that, and it also failed.

I just rebooted and went to the Control Panel first.  It appears to have uninstalled.  Before I do anything, I'll reboot the server.  That will have to wait.

I see there are newer versions of .NET available.  I'll poke around the forum to see if I can find the answer, but I'll ask it here anyway .. should I install 4.5, 4.5.x, or the latest (which is 4.6.x)?

Thanks for your help.

January 12, 2016, 04:38:43 PM
Reply #7

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Gene will need to answer to be reliable, but I believe HG 1.1 requires .NET 4.5 framework.  Older versions (~r400 and older) used .NET 4.0 framework.  It would be good if there was reference for what version used what .NET version for those using OS's that can't update .NET beyond a certain point (e.g., WinXP can only use up to 4.0).

I remember there being a mention that 4.5 was being used but there were issues with RPi1 due to mono limitations.  So, it's possible that the current version has stepped back to 4.0 as well.  Like I said, Gene will need to confirm.

January 12, 2016, 05:30:33 PM
Reply #8

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer
On windows you will need at least .Net 4.5 (but any newer release will be fine too).
On Linux (and so RaspberryPi) there's no issue since latest mono is compatible up to .Net 4.6:

http://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/compatibility/

Cheers,
g.

January 12, 2016, 11:17:20 PM
Reply #9

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Since XP can't go up to 4.5, do you know what the last version of HG that didn't require 4.5 was?  I know 3xx worked but I don't know how much newer I can use.

January 13, 2016, 12:00:54 AM
Reply #10

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer

January 13, 2016, 12:55:47 AM
Reply #11

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Great, I'll give that a try.

March 29, 2016, 05:08:27 AM
Reply #12

kevinvinv

• Information
Hi All,

Well,...   I need to uninstall homogenie from Linux (Ubuntu) and reinstall an older version,   I guess I cant figure out how to uninstall it...  and if I try to install the older version then gdebi says no-can-do b/c a later version is already installed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

March 29, 2016, 07:53:09 PM
Reply #13

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
There are a number of threads that discuss uninstalling.  I believe the syntax is:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get remove homegenie

March 29, 2016, 09:17:01 PM
Reply #14

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
For a new clean install :
Code: [Select]
- backup your configuration
- uninstall current hg with the command "dpkg --remove homegenie"