more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Weather Underground metric / imperial units  (Read 1775 times)

January 23, 2016, 04:34:17 AM
Read 1775 times

Jerry

• Information
There seems to be no way to specify units for wind speed, precipitation and time. I'm an engineer so It's not an issue for me, but my wife and others who use the system have difficulty making the conversion.

In addition, units should be a global setting (perhaps using locale) not module by module.

Thanks, Jerry

January 23, 2016, 05:53:58 AM
Reply #1

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Tangible is the future!
    • Yet Another Programmer
Units are not per module. You can change them from the Maintenance page - UI settings.
Currently only time / temperature unit preference can be set. I'll add also speed km/mph then. Not sure what is used for precipitation??

g.

January 23, 2016, 06:11:20 AM
Reply #2

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Precipitation is a length measurement.  I would want to see inches, but I assume SI would be cm.

January 23, 2016, 07:09:44 AM
Reply #3

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer
Currently it's showing hour/metric. Who's good at conversions and tell me the formula to apply? :)

g.

January 23, 2016, 07:16:56 PM
Reply #4

Jerry

• Information
The Weather Underground module has a temperature units selection option as does Update Thermostat Setpoint Timed.

January 23, 2016, 09:02:17 PM
Reply #5

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer
Hi Jerry,

that is an old option left by mistake. It currently have no effect. I removed it in r514.

Cheers,
g.

January 23, 2016, 09:49:51 PM
Reply #6

Jerry

• Information
When will r514 be available for download?

Another question. After an upgrade and restore; which version of modified programs/widgets remain, the version in the update or the version in the backup which may have been modified?

Jerry

January 23, 2016, 10:21:57 PM
Reply #7

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer
System programs and package programs are not restored from user backup and are replaced after an update. So if you want a modified version of a system program, you have to create a copy of it by exporting and importing it again. You also have to disable the system program and have enabled your own version.
Also note that while user programs are restored from the backup, custom widgets are not currently part of the backup at all, so you have to export and reimport them separately after restore.
r514 is available for testing here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/homegenie/files/testing/

g.

January 24, 2016, 03:48:36 AM
Reply #8

Jerry

• Information
Thanks.

BTW, I really like HG. I'm trying to wean myself off of a Vera Lite system. I am now writing/testing these programs:

- Radio Thermostat WiFi controller (Yes, I should have bought the Zwave model)
- PCMWIFI Blue Line Energy Monitor
- Oregon Scientific Temp/Hygro sensors using a RFXCOM receiver.
- DirecTV controller

Jerry

January 24, 2016, 04:49:17 PM
Reply #9

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I use a BLI power meter monitor, but I went a different route.  I should have just bought the WiFi adapter, but I wanted a project.  So, I use an Arduino to decode the 433MHz signal, decode it, and send the data to HG via MQTT.  I also use the Arduino to decode an Acurite 5in1 weather station and an Acurite 592TX temperature sensor.

It works ok, but range is an issue that a new hardware setup will hopefully correct.

January 26, 2016, 02:28:53 AM
Reply #10

Jerry

• Information
Which radio receiver are you using?

January 26, 2016, 11:07:51 PM
Reply #11

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Currently a generic 433MHz superhet receiver with an arduino UNO.  I have a ESP8266 and a FRM69 that I plan to pair for the next revision.  My current range is ok, but I want better and (from reading) this should give me excellent range.