more G-Labs products

Author Topic: GE/Jasco 45609 and 45610 3-way light switch status issue  (Read 2835 times)

February 13, 2014, 03:03:43 AM
Read 2835 times

pmowry911

• Information
Hello,
  Short version is I have a 3-way light setup that is not always showing the correct status.  I'm using  GE/Jasco 45609 and 45610 switches.  If the light is turned on/off from the main z-wave switch (45609) everything works great and I see the status change in HomeGenie.  But If I use the Aux switch the light turns on/off but the status does not update.  I know I can address this simply by turing on polling,  But I wanted to see if the 45609 is sending a message that is just not supported at this time (and maybe I can add that support) or if it is not sending anything at all.

Thanks again for your time and great application.

P.S.  I'm on Linux, but have win7 and a macbook available as well.

-Patrick

Edit:  Changed the subject line since this became more about the specific switches than z-wave troubleshooting.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:28:10 PM by pmowry911 »

February 13, 2014, 01:04:01 PM
Reply #1

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Tangible is the future!
    • Yet Another Programmer
Hi,

polling is "evil"  :) please do not use it. Instead there should be a configuration setting that make the device report changes automatically.
Look your device manual configuration settings and configure it from "Group and Modules" clicking the "Setup" button in the module options popup.

Cheers,
g.

February 13, 2014, 04:21:18 PM
Reply #2

pmowry911

• Information
Thank you,

But I just spoke the Jasco tech support.  Even though the main 45609 is controls the load directly and is z-wave enabled, it does not send anything if an attached 45610 is used to turn the light on/off.  It only sends a status message if its own switch is used.

I said "that sounds like a bug to me" to which I received "ok" as a response.  So I may be looking for a different brand of 3-way switches.

-Patrick

February 24, 2014, 07:11:47 PM
Reply #3

lancebooth

• Information
I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer...

1. Why is polling evil? I can't hardly find any information on it, and was just wondering...

2. (And I know this is a very basic question) Is there a file that maps the parameters of a device to their decimal value? If I look at the "Parameters" of the switch under "Configuration - Groups and Modules"  there is a parameter for HomeGenie.ZWaveLevelPoll whose value is currently "On". I am assuming that I need to set this parameter to "Off" using the Groups and Modules Setup for the switch, but I cannot find the decimal value of the parameter, therefore, I cannot set the parameter.

I haven't been able to find this information, and any help would be greatly appreciated...

Lance

February 25, 2014, 05:18:09 PM
Reply #4

pmowry911

• Information
I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer...

1. Why is polling evil? I can't hardly find any information on it, and was just wondering...

This is a 100% guess since I do not own any yet,  but since Z-wave is a mesh protocol I assume regular polling would prevent battery operated devices like door sensors from entering a sleep mode and drain the batteries faster that they should.  But please, anyone with real knowledge on the subject please speak up.

And I'm sorry, but I got a little lost in what you were looking for on parameter decimal values.  What device are you having a problem with?  On a far stretch of a related note, I've been using another app on windows (https://code.google.com/p/zvirtualscenes/) to look at the parameters on my devices.  It presents them a little better than HomeGenie so I can figure out what is needed.  But I love the Home Genie interface for end users much better, and my server is linux ;)

February 25, 2014, 07:08:45 PM
Reply #5

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Tangible is the future!
    • Yet Another Programmer
HomeGenie module parameters are really a different thing from Z-Wave node parameters.

HomeGenie module parameters are to be considered as "metadata" information that is used by the system itself and the automation layer for its own business logic.

Indeed you can access a Z-Wave node parameters by clicking on the "Setup" button from the module options popup (see attacched picture).
Then you'll be accessing the Z-Wave specific settings page (see other attacched picture).

Hope this helps!
Gene.