more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Scheduling GUI  (Read 2168 times)

March 03, 2014, 06:35:04 PM
Read 2168 times

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I know the scheduler is still very early in development as we've discussed last week.  I was hoping to add a feature request for a better GUI similar to what you'd see in other automation programs.  I'm sure there is something in the works, but I don't see it listed here.

I've attached images of what AHP uses for it's timer setup.  The first is the "simple" interface that only gives a couple options.  The second is their "advanced" version which gives a lot more control.  Either version enters an item in a list of timers for the current module.  All timers are displayed in a "timer" category so you can quickly see everything that should be triggered at different times.

HG is a much more robust program and is designed to function differently in a lot of ways so I'm not suggesting simply duplicating what they have.  I'm just hoping that at some point there will be a similar interface that could be used to enter and review timers.

March 03, 2014, 09:37:29 PM
Reply #1

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Tangible is the future!
    • Yet Another Programmer
Hi Ben,

your suggestions are always appreciated and taken into account.
But right now the goal is to promote the current release as stable and get rid of the beta.
So there won't be new features in a short time range.
By the way I believe that the mobile app should have all the UI improvements. The web UI will be kept simple as possible, unless other developers want to contribute to it.

Cheers,
g.

March 03, 2014, 09:42:15 PM
Reply #2

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Sure, that makes sense.  Just wanted to express interest in this as a feature for the future.  As always, great work!

March 03, 2014, 09:57:11 PM
Reply #3

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi Gene,

Good things to pass in stable version, for big companies it's take 5 years to pass to stable version ;) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmail).
When do you sort the first release in beta ? 2013-06-04 (0_99_beta_r213) ?

Good Job
Bye

March 03, 2014, 10:26:20 PM
Reply #4

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer
Hi nolio =)

in this very moment hg is a little app, nothing to do with GMail or other big projects that come out from the effort of team of talented people.
HG is just the effort of one "programmer". HG aim to be simple and effective.

Currently hg is missing lot of features and some are only partially implemented. But it seems to me (and to my little home) that can be still of some use with the few things it got.

Adding new features or trying to complete the partially implemented ones is not required at this time.

Indeed I hope that current hg might be able to run stable for a long period (months). So getting out of beta for 1.0 will require to concentrate on testing all current features and some fixes pheraps. It could take months.

In the meanwhile contributors can request branching and fork hg from github to add/complete all the features they want to and look forward to future versions > 1.0.

What HG will be after 1.0 is closely connected to what users want from it and how many contributors will join the project (if any).

March 03, 2014, 11:20:51 PM
Reply #5

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
in this very moment hg is a little app, nothing to do with GMail or other big projects that come out from the effort of team of talented people.
HG is just the effort of one "programmer". HG aim to be simple and effective.
Yes of course, it's not the same kinds of projets. I think the aim is completed.
Currently hg is missing lot of features and some are only partially implemented. But it seems to me (and to my little home) that can be still of some use with the few things it got.
For me, it's now very usefull to have HG (alarm only now, but a good one with advanced functions). When i look your "todo" in forum, it doesn't appear that there is still a lot of stuff to add.
Adding new features or trying to complete the partially implemented ones is not required at this time.

Indeed I hope that current hg might be able to run stable for a long period (months). So getting out of beta for 1.0 will require to concentrate on testing all current features and some fixes pheraps. It could take months.

In the meanwhile contributors can request branching and fork hg from github to add/complete all the features they want to and look forward to future versions > 1.0.

What HG will be after 1.0 is closely connected to what users want from it and how many contributors will join the project (if any).
Does that mean you will be less invest after 1.0 ?
Do you have some advises to start programming ?

Bye

March 03, 2014, 11:40:12 PM
Reply #6

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer
If you have any particular idea/need to implement in hg I'll give all the infos needed in order to do it.
After 1.0 I'll just sit and wait for next inspiration. It could be about hg, about the mobile app or pheraps something else.
Right now apart from leaving beta, I'd like to complete the documentation and add more examples.
Some people here is asking for adding support for various things. The problem is that I don't have all this hardware.
That's why contributors play an important role in some project development.

Cheers,
g.

March 04, 2014, 12:27:43 AM
Reply #7

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
So a big part of going to 1.0 and out of beta is to allow the community to take the reigns of development?  If so, then documentation is the most important thing IMO.  With a well documented code base, others can step in and add to the effort without having to spend so much time hacking around the code.

I'm not a C# programmer, so I generally write code through examples and checking MSDN for usage notes.  From the sounds of it, there are others here who are much more advanced and could definitely lend a hand in filling their own feature requests.

March 04, 2014, 12:35:19 AM
Reply #8

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer
Yes Ben, this is the aim. I'm not a good doc writer =) so it will take some time. Help/suggestions are appreciated.

g.