more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Z-Wave Thermostat Troubleshooting  (Read 5399 times)

June 21, 2015, 05:57:27 AM
Read 5399 times

bradvoy

• Information
I have 2 Radio Thermostat CT101 Z-Wave thermostats.  I used to be able to control these via HomeGenie, but I'm no longer able to.  I think the problem may have started at the time I switched the thermostats from heat mode to cooling mode, but I'm not sure.  Maybe it was at the time of a HomeGenie update.

HomeGenie is able to poll the thermostats and display the current temperature.  But it does not display the correct mode and setpoints for the thermostats.  And if I try to change the setpoints via the thermostat widget, no error messages are displayed but the thermostat settings don't change.

I don't have a good understanding of how to go about investigating a problem like this with HomeGenie.  Are there logs I should be looking at?  Or other ways to troubleshoot this?

June 23, 2015, 01:15:56 PM
Reply #1

kevin1

• Information
I don't have zwave or smart thermostat yet but thought I might offer some advice...

Go into config, maintenance, user interface and make sure event history is enabled.  Then in the upper right of HG web page is a blue, circle, click it.  Now you will have a log of messages, at the bottom you can filter them.  Once on this screen change a setting on the thermostat that you know works and you should see a message for it.  Then try filtering it based on the thermostat source id, or some unique domain text.  Once you are confident that is working, then start changing various settings and thermostat and look for expected data here. 

Post some of your results here and hopefully a zwave expert can help.

June 24, 2015, 10:48:36 PM
Reply #2

bradvoy

• Information
Thanks Kevin.  I had not understood how to use the Event History.

After enabling the Event History, when I try to change the thermostat setting I see the following event:

2:40:54.559 PM   Thermostat.SetPoint.Cooling   78   11   HomeAutomation.ZWave

That all looks correct to me.  11 is the Z-wave node number for the thermostat and 78 is the Fahrenheit temperature I selected.

June 25, 2015, 01:29:27 PM
Reply #3

kevin1

• Information
What thermostat program are you using.  I skimmed through the Weather Environment- Basic Thermostat code and I didn't notice logic to do cooling, only heating. 

Is there another thermostat program people are using?

June 26, 2015, 04:01:20 AM
Reply #4

bradvoy

• Information
That's a good question Kevin.  I think I'm using the homegenie/generic/thermostat widget.  There must be some way to verify that, but I can't see it in the interface.  Can anyone give me a pointer on that?

Also, I notice that there is another widget called DaniMail/generic/thermostats.  Does that one work with Z-Wave thermostats?  Can anyone comment on whether that one might work better for my situation?

June 26, 2015, 11:35:36 AM
Reply #5

kevin1

• Information
Can you post a screenshot of the widget?  There may be some text on it which gives a clue.  There could possibly be multiple programs (code) using the same thermostat widget.  When you add widgets they are usually grouped in a way to show which program created them.  But once it has been added, not sure if we can tell.

June 26, 2015, 02:41:18 PM
Reply #6

dani

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hello,

The widget homegenie/generic/thermostat widget is used by the default Thermostat module and the program Basic Thermostat.
The Basic Thermostat i's used only in Heating state. And yes it will work with ZWave sensor.
There is a difference between Sensor and Thermostat.
- Sensor give only the temperature, and in that case Basic Thermostat can control a relay (ZWave or other).
- Thermostat is able to control its own relay. The program as to set the temperature value on it. In that case it is the default Thermostat Widget by internal ZWave program of HG that send the risen tempertaure to the module. That's work if the module is automatically recognise by HG.
For know you have to check the technical specs of the equipement.

Cheers
Dani
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 07:04:27 AM by dani »

June 27, 2015, 05:06:49 AM
Reply #7

bradvoy

• Information
I've attached a couple of screen shots of the thermostat widget I'm using.  I think it's the homegenie/generic/thermostat widget. 

June 27, 2015, 03:13:33 PM
Reply #8

dani

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Have you get tat technical sheet ?
https://radiothermostat.desk.com/customer/portal/kb_article_attachments/20336/original.pdf?1379455676
It speaks that in you want to control the temperature remotely you need a complementary modole called USNAP ZWave module. Do you have it ? I understand if not, you can send only BASIC_COMMAND_CLASS with value 0 or 1 in simple mode (PG 7), and then you have only access to Enargy saving Mode and Comfort Mode.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 03:17:58 PM by dani »

June 28, 2015, 01:26:43 AM
Reply #9

bradvoy

• Information
Dani, thank you for attempting to help me diagnose this problem.  I appreciate your time and attention.

The USNAP Zwave module you linked to is for older versions of the Radio Thermostat thermostats (CT30, CT50, CT80).  My CT101 thermostats have the equivalent of this module already built in.

I am able to change the Fan Mode (On, Auto) and change Operating Mode (Off, Cool, Heat) with HomeGenie.  And HomeGenie is correctly displaying the current temperature from my thermostats.  The only part that is not working is that I can't change the heating or cooling setpoints from HomeGenie.  This used to work with an older version of HomeGenie.  I'm not sure exactly when it stopped working, but I think it was with some update that came out between March and June of this year.

June 28, 2015, 11:22:56 AM
Reply #10

dani

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I am in version r493 and that works correctly as you can see in the log trace and my thermostat works, only it has the mode Auto. It's a Qubino factory.
I think the best way is to save your configuration and make a clean instal.

Cheers
Dani

June 29, 2015, 05:05:13 AM
Reply #11

bradvoy

• Information
I tried doing a clean install of HomeGenie, but unfortunately that didn't make any difference.  My log trace looks similar to the one Dani posted.  It doesn't show any errors, but the setpoints don't get changed on the thermostats.  I'm wondering if it could possibly be a unit conversion problem.  The widgets are displaying the current temperature and the setpoints in Fahrenheit (which is what I want).  But could there be a problem where the widgets are sending new setpoint values to the thermostat in Fahrenheit and the thermostat is expecting Celsius? 

June 29, 2015, 10:32:26 AM
Reply #12

dani

• Information
  • Global Moderator
In the screnshot of trace which value is sent ? Celsuis or Farenheit ?

June 29, 2015, 01:45:54 PM
Reply #13

bradvoy

• Information
The trace shows Fahrenheit values being sent.

June 29, 2015, 04:22:56 PM
Reply #14

dani

• Information
  • Global Moderator
And your equipment wants receive which value ? If celsuis I can guide you for modify the widget file