more G-Labs products

Author Topic: HomeGenie release candidate numbering convention  (Read 837 times)

February 01, 2016, 09:15:47 PM
Read 837 times

petediscrete

• Information
Didn't notice any "update available" on the maintenance section of HG yesterday. Decided to have a look around and noticed that the rc512 version I was running had in fact been superceeded by rc514. Did a manual install and noticed a considerable difference in the "look and feel" and as well the functionality of the application. Also a little work to be done before restoring my rc512 backup config file.

Does your rc numbering convention reflect changes like this Gene.

February 01, 2016, 10:38:24 PM
Reply #1

kevin1

• Information
I'm curious what look and feel changed?  I've been sticking with r505 since it has been running fairly well for me.... but I always like new features :)

February 01, 2016, 11:24:12 PM
Reply #2

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I notice that the group configure dialog is slightly different (several icons on right rather than just 3 dashed lines).  Also, you can move order with an icon rather than dragging the module itself (more convenient on touch screen IMO).  It looks the same for me otherwise.

February 02, 2016, 12:36:32 AM
Reply #3

petediscrete

• Information
The change in how packages are managed is a fairly new departure. Still haven't tested fully the x10 on this release but I believe there's an "All lights on/off feature now available.

The update manager on the maintenance section didn't flag any update from rc512 so I was surprised to see rc514 available.

Where can I keep track of the latest updates as they are released. Maybe a sticky in the General Discussion section might help.

February 02, 2016, 06:24:09 AM
Reply #4

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
r514 is not available in the update section because it's a testing version.  When the new features added in the test release are confirmed to be stable, Gene will either migrate the version to the main line and create an update or do so with the next minor update.  Testing releases generally have larger inclusions that could cause issues for some users and thus are not considered stable.

If you want to try the testing releases, you can find information about them in the BUG REPORTING -> Re: TESTING RELEASE topic.  Be aware that some of these versions can cause problems/unpredictable activity.  It is not advised to use such a release on a critical system.