more G-Labs products

Author Topic: What thermostat should I buy  (Read 1139 times)

October 28, 2016, 09:35:02 AM
Read 1139 times

gbremmer

• Information
I would like to have a thermostat that works with Homegenie. I live in the Netherlands and most boilers are equiped with OpenTherm which can send commands like low heat and high heat. But I would also like to have it implemented in HomeGenie.
I really like the Tado but Tado doens't support Z-wave. It does have an open API but i'm not a programmer.  Also had a look at Google Nest but the Nest doesn't support OpenTherm.

What are you using? Any advice what I should buy?

October 29, 2016, 08:06:11 AM
Reply #1

mvdarend

• Information
Also had a look at Google Nest but the Nest doesn't support OpenTherm.

Yes it does: https://nest.com/nl/thermostat/meet-nest-thermostat/

Nu met OpenTherm.

Nest maakt nu gebruik van OpenTherm-technologie om je HR-condensatieketel te moduleren. Daardoor behoudt je huis een constante temperatuur, zodat het nog comfortabeler wordt.

October 29, 2016, 08:03:59 PM
Reply #2

gbremmer

• Information
Thnx, Dit moet ik gemist hebben.. Ik zie dat er ook een geweldige plugin voor geschreven is. Werkt deze ook goed met Homegenie Plus?

October 30, 2016, 07:13:57 AM
Reply #3

mvdarend

• Information
Ik zie dat er ook een geweldige plugin voor geschreven is. Werkt deze ook goed met Homegenie Plus?

Quick translation to English:
I see that that a great plugin has been created [for the Nest]. Does this also work in HomeGenie Plus?

Probably not, but I haven't tried it (the Nest App). I know that Gene was planning a way to have custom widgets/templates from HG show up in the app but I don't think that it's ready yet.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 07:37:09 AM by mvdarend »

November 02, 2016, 01:54:09 AM
Reply #4

Orkspalter

• Information
I just bought 4 eQ-3 HomeMatic wireless thermostates for 25,- euros a piece which is pretty cheap as the are selling normally for 38,-euros.

http://www.eq-3.com/products/homematic/heating-and-climate-control/homematic-wireless-radiator-thermostat.html

http://www.elv.de/homematic-heizkoerperthermostat-1.html

They come with adaptors for the most german radiators and as ELV/eQ3 are the most known european homeautomation based seller i guess that they would fit on netherland ones too ?? To get them working wireless you would have to buy a CCU which is the gateway/automation/software point as the are 868 type, which costs 80 euros more, but you can build yourself a nanocul (arduino nano with CC1101 module) for arround 5 euros and install Homegear or YAHM (which ist the image of the CCU software) on a raspberry pi.
Right now i am trying the 4 homatic thermos with homegear running on a pi, and homegear turns every in and out going 868 signal/value  into MQTT, which is going in the installed mosquitto broker so i can use Node Red for automation and building blocks or MQTT Dash (android app which is quite nice) for controlling and setting the parameters.

I am now searching for a way to get the mqtt values into HomeGenie to use the perfect timer and automation features of HG, so it would be the perfect setup
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:11:15 AM by Orkspalter »

November 02, 2016, 11:07:16 AM
Reply #5

[email protected]

• Information
nest 2 does support openthem, however I dont think it fully supports modulating the flame % age from what my boiler manufacturer said..

I have an opentherm gateway http://otgw.tclcode.com/ I would like to use with my boiler but it seems to be non standard..

You could probably use the OT gateway to control the boiler from HG if you so wished..

November 06, 2016, 10:55:01 AM
Reply #6

gbremmer

• Information
There are so many options but I don't like to build something myself. The thermostat should be very reliable and if I'm building it myself it will not be  ;D.

However, the bottom line is that the only compatible device at this moment with Homegenie and OpenTherm is Google Nest? That makes my decision very easy.