more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Eden board  (Read 3897 times)

December 08, 2014, 05:20:06 PM
Read 3897 times

StatX

• Information
First of all i would like to say hello to every body here,
then a BIG THAN YOU for the project it is really great, i hope it will become even better.

Now a short story, i have RPi with HG, the setup went as smooth as possible, today i will try to enable it on WiFi.
Yesterday I've connected 2 DS18B20 they also started form a kick :) now i am planing to play with analog inputs and some general IO but i want to do it by MCP3008 and 2x MCP23017 ( one for IO and other for IO and LCD (or maybe it will be better to do LCD by I2C?)), so I've seen Eden board another great project but it slightly differs from what i would like to have. I am planning few more things on the board. For example BMP180 Barometric pressure sensor, MCP3424 to drive thermocouples, 5v and 3v3 regulators, maybe something more.

Here starts my question Is there a possibility to get eagle schematic for eden board?
What is R1 and C1 for ?

Thank You in advance.

December 08, 2014, 10:26:30 PM
Reply #1

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Tangible is the future!
    • Yet Another Programmer
Hi StatX,

don't have eagle schematics, only pdf/gerber pcb files.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/homegenie/files/testing/
C1 come out from MCP3008 specifications. They say it should be there in place. But since I am a very beginner with electronics I am not sure about this. Not even sure about R1 that it's just there because the project I got the schematic from it was having it placed that way. =)
I'm currently working on a new version of Eden board. It is not based on MCP3008 and it has an oled display 128x64, a DS18B20 and a light sensor as well.
Please feel free about suggesting any improvement expecially about the IR transceiver. It's actually working very well but I won't dislike to give it a longer range capability when transmitting (it's about 2 meters now).

g.

December 08, 2014, 11:04:13 PM
Reply #2

StatX

• Information
I will think about The IR receiver You mentioned, at the moment i am working on that board i' written above. It's going quite good i think tomorrow i will finnish. It will include some features that will be let's say addable, and not needed for normal operation if You wont need them. Also it will be cheaper :)

As soon as i will finish i will post my work here ( it will be my first let's say DIY project on the web :) )

BTW sorry for my english :P i am better in speaking than writting.

One more thing. Is the UEXT connector a standard one i mean the pin out in it is any standard or its just autors fantasion about pin placing ?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 11:07:21 PM by StatX »

December 09, 2014, 02:07:08 AM
Reply #3

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer
The UEXT connector is a standard one, you can connect olimex modules like shown in this picture:

(http://www.homegenie.it/docs/diy/images/eden/eden_lcd.jpg)

g.

December 09, 2014, 06:02:16 PM
Reply #4

StatX

• Information
ok :) i didnt know Olimex and that port :)

BTW You said that You want to make new Eden board, do You have any ideas what can be added?

Now on my board ( witch i will share when i will finish ) there are:

MCP23017
MCP3008
MCP3424
TMP36
IR Tx diode and IR receiver
BMP180
1-Wire      For DS18B20 or else.
Lots of pins to connect additional stuff
some DIP switches to turn on components ( what You dont need you can power off or not solder at the begining ).
Power supply module for 5V and 3.3V
Also i am thinking on I2C level shifter so You can have 2 diffrent voltage levels ( 5V and 3.3V ) on the same bus, working together.

also i am thinking on wireless sensors using Arduino and NRF24L01 normal version have a decent range and there is version with amplifier and antena and it's capable to transmit over 1000m, so wow.

I would like to use it to monitor my boiler witch i have in my basement 2 flors beneath lets hope it will fit :)

any sugestions are welcome :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:33:02 PM by StatX »

December 11, 2014, 06:11:18 PM
Reply #5

tux21

• Information
Hi folks,

very nice project, now I have my own Eden board :) I buy Olimex diplay, but it is without LEDs. Now I buy other display from china with backlight for few bucks. Can I adjust contrast? Both are very dark and I dont know why.. Thank you for some reason

December 11, 2014, 09:34:59 PM
Reply #6

StatX

• Information
You should be able to adjust contrast with the potentiometer, if u dont have any You need to add.
What voltage You used to power the LCD and is the Contrast Pin also connected to VCC ?

December 11, 2014, 10:11:14 PM
Reply #7

tux21

• Information
I use Olimex modul with LCD from old Nokia 3310 and without potentiometer or trimmer. It´s connected directly to UEXT connector on EDEN board. VCC is 3.3V.

See schematic from Olimex:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/LCD/MOD-LCD3310/resources/MOD-LCD3310-schematic.pdf

Thank you

December 14, 2014, 04:49:35 PM
Reply #8

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer
Hi guys,

just wondering, how did you get Eden board?

btw... there's a new Eden in the air....

http://www.homegenie.it/docs/diy/eden.php

please check this out =)

g.

December 14, 2014, 08:50:37 PM
Reply #9

StatX

• Information
Very nice Your Eden v2:)

I also finished my board need to do just a litle polish to make it perfect :) then i will post it here.

I am thinking about using NRF240L01 for wireless com betwean RasPi and some sensors or arduinos with sensors, because in Poland they are very cheap aprox 1USD for a NRF module.

Did You already used any of those ?

And for this Olimex LCD i think the problem with contrast lies in configuration, or booting up sequence i found out that there are 2 different uC on those boards and they have different addreses for contrast maybe this wil help.

You probably know this site mysensors.org there is shown the method to connect sensors throught NRF modules.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:55:39 PM by StatX »

December 14, 2014, 09:21:06 PM
Reply #10

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
    • Yet Another Programmer
Hi StatX,

I tried setting up NRF communication between two RPis a while ago, but unsuccesfully so I gave up at the time.
Right now there are so many wireless communication options to choose from, but still didn't find one worth trying.
This one almost convinced me https://nurdspace.nl/ESP8266 as it seems to be an interesting option.

Cheers,
g.

December 15, 2014, 07:10:55 PM
Reply #11

StatX

• Information
The ESP8266 are available in my country but the price is about 8 USD for a piece, i think i will try to do something with NRF's they are cheap so they are worth a try. But i think i will start with them after holidays.