more G-Labs products

Author Topic: .NET Framework 4.5 and Windows XP  (Read 1716 times)

December 23, 2015, 11:07:12 AM
Read 1716 times

duch

• Information
Hello,

I've tried to install HomeGenie Server v1.1 with XP but .NET 4.5 is required.

Windows installer
XP / Vista / Win7 / Win8
(.NET >= 4.5 required)

So ... is Homegenie no more compatible with XP ?

No solution ?

Thank you for your help

December 23, 2015, 03:43:49 PM
Reply #1

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Tangible is the future!
    • Yet Another Programmer
It could be possible by changing few things in the source code and re-targetting to Net.4.0.
I just wonder how many HA users are still using XP? Is there any particular reason you need running HG on XP?
I may decide to revert back compatibility to Net 4.0.
These are some technicals infos about this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17499351/is-it-possible-to-run-a-net-4-5-app-on-xp
And some statistics about OS usage trends over time:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Cheers,
g.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 03:49:05 PM by Gene »

December 24, 2015, 01:41:54 AM
Reply #2

petediscrete

• Information
If I've use for Windows it's XP. Windows Vista was a disaster and I tried Windows 7 which I found to be nearly as bad. I stopped there and for any Windows HA requirements, I find XP far superior. All the usual updates were done prior to support being discontinued so if you're careful I see no problem with using XP.

I'm a converted Linux user now, Ubuntu, and will never purchase another Microsoft product again. I think Microsoft's days as the major O/S provider are numbered.

Yes Gene, I too would appreciate if you referenced HG to .NET 4.0

December 27, 2015, 09:02:40 AM
Reply #3

duch

• Information
I'm still using XP for many reasons.
- At school, with my pupils, we have many computers - about 40 - wich are a bit older now, but unfortunately we have no money to change them or swap OS ...
- Another reason is that some software we use, especially CAD, are only compatible with XP.

I think that there are a lot of computers all around the world, especially professionals one, wich are still using Windows XP.

Thank you for your help

December 30, 2015, 02:00:44 PM
Reply #4

[email protected]

• Information
You might not have liked vista etc, but windows 10 is much better :)

I personally would rather we didn't limit the framework version to 'support' an unsupported windows version as that then limits what .net functionality we can develop using :)

December 31, 2015, 03:19:46 AM
Reply #5

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I have a WinXP box that I periodically use for testing.  I don't use it with a current version nor do I update it.  I only use it to watch X10 commands.  That said, I have used it to test scripts and whatnot so making it compatible with the same code would be beneficial to me.  However, if there are advantages to dropping support for older versions of Windows, that's understandable.  If support for older versions is dropped, please keep the most current version that supports that windows version available with a note stating what it works with.