more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Update Manager - Rollback Option  (Read 1640 times)

October 13, 2014, 12:55:02 PM
Read 1640 times

RichieC

• Information
Would it be possible to add an option to rollback to a previously installed version of Homegenie?

This would be useful if an update was installed that caused an issue with a particular installation.

October 13, 2014, 04:37:45 PM
Reply #1

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
I can't answer for Gene, but my take would be this is a bad idea.  On other projects I've contributed to, the author explicitly stated that he would not make older versions available (similar to being able to roll back) because by doing so it would keep the project from moving forward.  If people don't like a feature or something is broken then the correct answer is to fix the code not pretend it didn't happen by rolling back.  Gene may have a different take and he obviously would have the final say.

October 13, 2014, 11:04:13 PM
Reply #2

RichieC

• Information
I do agree with what you are saying, and im all for getting the issues fixed - but people are using HomeGenie to control their home automation systems and if an update stops this from working due to bugs etc then in many cases people would be stuck with a non-working installation until a fix  / another update is released.. it would be nice if you could rollback to the previous version that you had installed to get everything working again while waiting for a fix.

I can't answer for Gene, but my take would be this is a bad idea.  On other projects I've contributed to, the author explicitly stated that he would not make older versions available (similar to being able to roll back) because by doing so it would keep the project from moving forward.  If people don't like a feature or something is broken then the correct answer is to fix the code not pretend it didn't happen by rolling back.  Gene may have a different take and he obviously would have the final say.

October 13, 2014, 11:54:00 PM
Reply #3

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
That's a valid point.  The other software I was referring to was related to an arcade front end which is obviously not critical.  Also, the developer for that program was extremely active during updates would sometimes release several fixes in a single day until things worked.

For what it's worth, there is a TESTING thread here where new releases can be debugged prior to full release to the masses.  From what I've seen so far, when that process is used, most issues are sused prior to release.

October 14, 2014, 02:41:33 AM
Reply #4

RoChess

• Information
Also that is what backup/restore is normally used for. Rollback is a nice automated way for that, but good old fashion backup/restore still applies, and it is always good to have backups.

That means perfect time to make one is right before you click "Upgrade"