more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Connecting to HG remotely - strange behaviour.  (Read 785 times)

August 17, 2016, 12:12:46 AM
Read 785 times

Johnny H

• Information
via Public IP route to HG Server

- from android client will not turn on/off lights, and at times (well 99% of the time) not connect to HG
- from android client via chrome browser will not connect:
Error: invalid request or server failure
Http_proxy
- from a desktop system via a browser connects with the public ip !!
- from inside network, all works fine..

I do have the port forwarding done correctly using port 8080 and HG setup to listen on that...., not being used by anything else

anything I'm missing ?

Thanks,
Johnny

August 17, 2016, 12:37:04 AM
Reply #1

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,

In your test from outside your local network, do you always use a proxy between your device and interne ?
Perhaps a problem to pass through the proxy ...
Bye

August 17, 2016, 01:29:50 PM
Reply #2

Johnny H

• Information
No I don't use a proxy.

I did notice if I turn the wifi on ( from in the house) and connect with the public ip, it connects -- i don't have any DNS settings to map this, so I suspecting HG may not be detecting the correct ip, maybe it has the private ip cached and uses that?

August 18, 2016, 05:34:58 PM
Reply #3

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
It was not clear to me if the PC was external to your network or internal and just accessing the external IP.  If the PC is external to your network, then I'm not sure why one client can access your server and another cannot.  Thus, I'm assuming the PC is internal accessing the external IP.  If internal, the following may be useful.

I have a router behind my DSL modem which is also a router.  There are 3 steps to share a Windows machine outside my network.

1) open port on Windows firewall
2) port forward on router
3) port forward on DSL modem or switch modem router to bridge mode

Step 1 will allow another computer to access your windows server directly from the network by specifying the IP of that machine.  Step 2 allows you to access the windows machine with the LAN address the router and have it forward to the PC.  Step 3 will allow you to access the PC from outside the network by calling the external IP which will then forward to the router which will then forward to the PC.  Without step 3 you can't get to the system from outside your network but, depending on how your modem handles it, you may be able to connect to your external IP from inside the network.  There is a setting called "loopback" that may be enabled on your modem that will allow this.

August 19, 2016, 01:24:49 PM
Reply #4

Johnny H

• Information
Hi,

The device was external to my private network -- my cell phone

Figured it out.. not sure why this would only affect Home Genie, maybe Gene can explain.

On my Cellular settings -- the APN settings, BELL's web proxy information was set. I removed it and was then able to connect to the HG server remotely !.

This explains why it worked on my office computer and not the cell phone. There has to be something in HG that told it to use the proxy server if its sees one.

Strange thing is that I tested on my wife's iPhone via the browser and was able to connect, not sure why her BELL APN settings didn't have the proxy info setup, but mine did -- both on the same network provider.

Thanks for input on this.
Johnny

August 19, 2016, 08:31:19 PM
Reply #5

nolio

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Hi,
So problem solve ! :-)
I don't think there a security to block access to HomoGenie trough a proxy. In previous version of HomeGenie, I access to my HG several times trough a proxy.

It's more probably your proxy that block the connection. Probably your HG port, which port did you use ? Did you try another one ?
You will not have any trouble with standard http port (80, 8080, 443) but for other you probably have to test several one to find one which work fine...
Bye
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 08:35:39 PM by nolio »