more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Smart Meters in HomeGenie?  (Read 1818 times)

February 11, 2015, 01:36:08 PM
Read 1818 times

gcoupe

• Information
Here in the Netherlands, the energy companies are installing so-called "Smart Meters" ("Slimme Meters" in Dutch) into our houses. The reason is that the meter usage can be read remotely by the company - no need to send someone to the house to read the meter.

The best bit is that these meters also have a serial port, so the homeowner can read the data as well. Has anyone successfully interfaced their Slimme Meter to HomeGenie here?

There's already an interface for Domoticz, I'd really like to see something similar for HomeGenie.

Here's a blog post from someone who has had a Slimme Meter installed, with some interface information:

http://www.maartendamen.com/2012/04/new-smart-meter-installed-iskra-me382-and-landis-gyr-gasmeter-e06140/

February 11, 2015, 06:22:54 PM
Reply #1

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
There is already a python script that appears to be capable of parsing the data from your smart meter assuming you have the correct connection cable.  If you can get data from the meter to your HG computer, you should be able to use the script in a HG python script with a couple additional likes to parse the data transmitted into a bar graph.  Looks like you are 90% of the way there!

I assume you've already read the code, but here's a link:
https://github.com/maartendamen/HouseAgent-SmartMeter/blob/master/smartmeter.py

February 11, 2015, 06:38:12 PM
Reply #2

gcoupe

• Information
" If you can get data from the meter to your HG computer, you should be able to use the script in a HG python script"

Hmm. Me and coding is like electricity and water - they don't mix very well. I can just about cope with Blockly; python is completely unknown territory. There was a reason why I bought "The Unix-haters Handbook" many years ago...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unix-Haters_Handbook

But, many thanks, anyway!

February 11, 2015, 11:35:16 PM
Reply #3

bkenobi

• Information
  • Global Moderator
Choosing to not learn any language...hmmm.   Interesting hobby to choose if you don't like computers.  :o

Well, the hard part has already been written for you.  The only thing you really need to do is get the data onto the system (which could be as simple as following the guide you linked with the identical hardware).  The code required to get HG to use the data is really just handful of lines that write the data the python script gathers to the right place in HG.

August 06, 2015, 08:12:29 AM
Reply #4

mvdarend

• Information
Here in the Netherlands, the energy companies are installing so-called "Smart Meters" ("Slimme Meters" in Dutch) into our houses. The reason is that the meter usage can be read remotely by the company - no need to send someone to the house to read the meter.

The best bit is that these meters also have a serial port, so the homeowner can read the data as well. Has anyone successfully interfaced their Slimme Meter to HomeGenie here?

Hi gcoupe, I don't know if you're still interested but I am now making a 'Smart meter' (slimme meter) widget for HomeGenie.

I've got an ugly working version if you want to try it out. I should have a complete version ready soon.

August 10, 2015, 02:59:29 PM
Reply #5

mvdarend

• Information