more G-Labs products

Author Topic: Zwave Thermostat  (Read 21850 times)

July 12, 2014, 09:22:18 PM
Reply #15

miket

• Information
Are you able to successfully pair your thermostat with your controller?  If this doesn't work, then you have a hardware issue.  Read the manual for your device very carefully- some of these things have funny configuration settings.

Does the whole homegenie system time out or just your browser?

Can you at least see the thermostat as an option in the dropdown module?   

I'm not sure if you can get to your homegenie log, but if you can, it would be great if you posted what the log is saying when you have the issue.

Thanks for your feedback-  hopefully we can make it work!

July 13, 2014, 04:08:56 PM
Reply #16

bradvoy

• Information
I just installed r394 and tried this with my Radio Thermostat CT101.  All the fields on the thermostat module are empty (Set, Fan, Op, Mode).  If I click on the gear image, it shows "40".  If I change the temperature here, it does change my thermostat's set point accordingly.  But the next time I come back here it shows 40 again, not the temperature I set.

My homegenie log file doesn't show any thermostat-related entries except for a handful like this:

hg/html/pages/control/widgets/homegenie/generic/thermostat.json   HTTP    GET

July 13, 2014, 04:15:37 PM
Reply #17

miket

• Information
ok...I'm pretty sure I know what it is.

So your thermostat is connected correctly, but it just isn't announcing changes automatically.   

There is one thing you can try-  on the configuration page for the module, if your thermostat supports association, try associating it with node 1.  My thermostat requires this in order to receive announcements.

Let me know if this works, but if it doesn't, in the next update I'm going to figure out a way to poll the thermostat for messages.   

I appreciate the feedback-  keep me up to date on how things are working/not working!

July 13, 2014, 08:27:21 PM
Reply #18

bradvoy

• Information
I just double checked the configuration page for the module, and I don't see anything there about association. 

Thanks for your work on this.  I'll continue playing around with it and let me you know if I learn any more.

July 14, 2014, 03:23:46 PM
Reply #19

RichieC

• Information
No, i can't even pair the thermostat with homegenie. I do have other z-wave devices though which work fine, so if its a hardware issue its with the thermostat itself, although i think it has more to do with the way it communicates with the controller. I remember reading somewhere that it associates with group2 which is not what homegenie is not listening for..

Are you able to successfully pair your thermostat with your controller?  If this doesn't work, then you have a hardware issue.  Read the manual for your device very carefully- some of these things have funny configuration settings.

I'm not sure if you can get to your homegenie log, but if you can, it would be great if you posted what the log is saying when you have the issue.

July 16, 2014, 06:30:18 PM
Reply #20

RichieC

• Information
There are some instructions that i found here for adding this thermostat to a Z-Wave network (but not for Homegenie) I've tried to use these instructions to add the thermostat device in Homegenie, but have not had much luck. The instructions are here:

http://www.maartendamen.com/2011/05/horstmann-hrt4-zw-thermostat/

there is also a document that details the supported classes etc here:

http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/uploads/resources/c9a9e2f0a21623166ddfc437c4f842c34020aa45.pdf

As i said before i can't even get the device to pair with homegenie...

Any ideas why this is not working or what can be done to get it to work?

Rich

No, i can't even pair the thermostat with homegenie. I do have other z-wave devices though which work fine, so if its a hardware issue its with the thermostat itself, although i think it has more to do with the way it communicates with the controller. I remember reading somewhere that it associates with group2 which is not what homegenie is not listening for..

July 19, 2014, 09:29:09 PM
Reply #21

miket

• Information
Hey Richie:

That's a cool looking thermostat!

What controller are you using?   With the zstick controller (which is what I use), I have to walk over to the thermostat with my controller (most of them have to be within 5 feet or so), put my controller in add mode, and then follow the instructions for adding the thermostat.   (All outside of homegenie).  My controller then gives me a satisfying double blink to let me know that it worked.  After all of that is done, then I can go to homegenie and add the new node to my control panel.   

Do you know at which step of the process something is going wrong?   

The great think about your thermostat is that it has associations-  so once you are able to include it in your network, it will automatically send updates to homegenie after you associate it with (usually) node 1.     

July 19, 2014, 10:47:25 PM
Reply #22

bradvoy

• Information
Mike, I noticed that when I change the thermostat setting using your widget that the call back to the HG server uses the URL /api/HomeAutomation.ZWave/<zwaveNode>/Therm.Temp/<temperature>.  So I can use that call to adjust the thermostat from another node on my  network.  But I can't figure out how to do the same thing from within an HG module.  I was thinking it would be somthing like this:

Code: [Select]
Modules.WithName("Main floor").Get().Parameter("Therm.Temp").Value = "78";
But that isn't working.  Can you give me any hints on this?

July 20, 2014, 12:36:29 AM
Reply #23

Gene

• Information
  • Administrator
  • Tangible is the future!
    • Yet Another Programmer

Code: [Select]
var termperature = Modules.WithName("Main floor").Command("Therm.Temp");
termperature.Set("<some_value>");

g.

July 20, 2014, 01:33:27 AM
Reply #24

bradvoy

• Information
That works great!  Thanks Gene and Mike.

July 20, 2014, 11:48:08 AM
Reply #25

RichieC

• Information
I am using a zstick2 and running homegenie on a raspberry pi..
But I diddnt think that pairing devices directly with the zsrick (by pressing its button) made any difference to homegenie - have always just added zwave devices within homegene - is this not correct?

You might be onto something with not being close enough to the controller to pair the device though... I'll try getting a bit closer and see what happens.. if i view the log while attempting to add the thermostat nothing is logged at all.. could be because it's not close enough I guess!

Richie

Hey Richie:

What controller are you using?   With the zstick controller (which is what I use), I have to walk over to the thermostat with my controller (most of them have to be within 5 feet or so), put my controller in add mode, and then follow the instructions for adding the thermostat.   (All outside of homegenie).  My controller then gives me a satisfying double blink to let me know that it worked.  After all of that is done, then I can go to homegenie and add the new node to my control panel.   

The great think about your thermostat is that it has associations-  so once you are able to include it in your network, it will automatically send updates to homegenie after you associate it with (usually) node 1.   

July 21, 2014, 11:03:21 AM
Reply #26

RichieC

• Information
Ok, I've done a bit more testing around this, but unfortunately haven't got any further with getting this thermostat working with Home genie.

I've tried moving the thermostat closer (about 1 foot away!) and it still doesn't respond to a add node request .. nothing is logged in the homegenie logs when attempting this.

If i unplug the z-stick from the pi and press it's button to include a device and then select the install option on the thermostat (the same as im doing when attempting to add the node in homegenie) i get the "double blink" on the z-stick and the thermostat shows that its paired sucessfully. If then plug the z-stick back into the pi and restart homegenie there are no new z-wave devices listed that i can add and trying to add a node again in homegenie still doesnt work.

Any ideas what is happening here?

Hey Richie:

July 21, 2014, 03:03:46 PM
Reply #27

James

• Information
I had the same issue with a standard GE switch, tried 4 or 5 times to add and remove it but it never showed up in HG then one last time I removed the z-stick and manually Removed and then added the switch to the z-stick, plugged the z-stick back in and rebooted still didn't show up, I then hit Discovery and Its there!!!

hope this helps

July 22, 2014, 07:36:28 AM
Reply #28

miket

• Information
Awesome!  Glad it worked!

July 22, 2014, 08:14:25 PM
Reply #29

RichieC

• Information
Well.. i went back in and did a discovery.. and you're right .. my thermostat is now there!

I have added it as a module, but i can't seem to get it to do a great deal. Changing the temperature on the thermostat or on the homegenie module doesn't do anything.

Is there some other configuration changes i need to make to get the thermostat to report / respond to changes?

Richie

I had the same issue with a standard GE switch, tried 4 or 5 times to add and remove it but it never showed up in HG then one last time I removed the z-stick and manually Removed and then added the switch to the z-stick, plugged the z-stick back in and rebooted still didn't show up, I then hit Discovery and Its there!!!

hope this helps